Drain Water for Pool Light replacements? - Pentair GloBrite

Ds3161

Gold Supporter
Sep 23, 2021
Kansas city
TLDR; Does the water level need drained for replacement of Pentair GloBrites?

My pool is new (opened in October '22). Immediately 4 of the 5 GloBrite lights for my pool did not work. After struggling with my PB to replace them he finally dumped me off to work with pentair directly and they helped and got me in touch with a PB in the area that does warranty work for them. Now comes the question. This service provider determined there was nothing wrong with the intellicenter or transformer and that the lights indeed need replaced. All good there. Next he has concerns about replacing the lights without draining the pool below light level. Then additionally, he is asking for my installation help to absolve himself of liabilities should something break while tugging on wires. We have a call back in to pentair about the latter issue. But my real question is does the water level need drained for replacement of Pentair GloBrites?

Note: I live in Missouri and we close our pools in the winter. His concern was around having water in the light's lines come winter time.

I think last winter I drained down just past my sun/baja shelf, so about 6-10" below my skimmers. This left at least one, maybe more of my lights still underwater for the winter. Does any extra winterization need done for those lights? Anything need done for those that are now out-of-water like unscrewing them to let the water level in the line lower?

Note: I didn't close the pool myself last winter but I did open it and didn't have to do anything with the lights...which of course I didn't care about because 4/5 of them didn't work right anyway.

The lights do not seal. The water in the line is at the same level as what it is in the pool. When you lowered the water in the pool, that lowered the water in the line to a point you are below the frost line. Or you would have a leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.