Drain Pool or Shock

Mlharri71

Aug 21, 2023
Florida
So my pool pump has been out of service for a few months now. A pool guy told me I should just drain it because treating it would take weeks to get blue again. So my question is, at what point should you drain a pool to get it blue again?? I have access to a sump pump and a pond to dump it, but that water bill won’t be pretty but then there’s the cost of treating it if I choose that route instead.
Looking forward to y’all’s responses!

Hello! Please do not drain that pool without understanding the risks!! You're in Florida, right? High water tables are common. Your empty pool could be basically a boat and be pushed out of the ground without the weight of water inside holding it down.

What's holding up getting a new pump?

Maddie :flower:

A picture of the pool would be helpful. Many times on the forum the recommendation is to drain and start fresh if it is feasible i.e. no water restrictions, etc.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy

You drain when the cost of water is less than the cost of Liquid Chlorine..

I doubt your water bill will be a high as you think.

I just drained and refilled a 15K pool for less than $75 bucks..

I suggest that you contact your city and see what the charge would be to fill up your pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
One thing you can ;put into your memory banks--> when ever you are without power, or in your case a pump, you can still add Liquid Chlorine to the pool daily and brush it around, to keep your Free Chlorine (FC) level where it should be.
You'll lose a bit of sparkle because teeny-eeny bits aren't being filtered, but you shouldn't go green.

Maddie :flower:

Or if you have power, dump the submersible in the deep end and toss the hose in the shallow end. It'll eventually get dirty with no filter, but 30 mins once or twice a day will keep the chems mixed and the water sanitary.

If you don't have a submersible, they're under $100 at Harbor Freight / Amazon / etc. I bought a 1.6 HP monster for $68. This one is currently $76. You could circulate the water indefinitely with these until tthe equipment was operational again.

Or if you have power, dump the submersible in the deep end and toss the hose in the shallow end. It'll eventually get dirty with no filter, but 30 mins once or twice a day will keep the chems mixed and the water sanitary.

If you don't have a submersible, they're under $100 at Harbor Freight / Amazon / etc. I bought a 1.6 HP monster for $68. This one is currently $76. You could circulate the water indefinitely with these until tthe equipment was operational again.
I like that it has a 25ft cord - many submersible pumps at Home Depot or Lowe’s only has 10ft cord.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.