Drain/Fill due to high Cu levels

ladsjohn

Bronze Supporter
Mar 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
Hi all,
I've been managing my pool relatively successfully for the past few years, thanks in large part to the good folks on this forum. I've been testing my pH lately with an old kit that I left in the sun too long. Long story short, I allowed my pH to drop too low (below 6.0 according to my local pool store). In an effort to slowly raise the pH, I added 2 lbs of baking soda (22,000 gallon pool). The water turned cloudy overnight with a metallic film on top. After 3 days I added another 2 lbs. My pH is now at 7.0.
But with a TA of 0 !!!! And the cloudiness is likely Cu that has come out of solution as the pH came up (the Cu is likely from my pool heater :( ).

I've read about sequestering agents that can help with the Cu, but isn't that a slippery slope where I'll need to continually treat with it?

I'm at the point where I'm considering a drain/fill before that Cu starts to stain my pool. Any advice appreciated!

Many thanks.

I've read about sequestering agents that can help with the Cu, but isn't that a slippery slope where I'll need to continually treat with it?
You are absolutely correct. Unfortunate, but true that perhaps your best action might be to do a healthy water exchange to remove as much of the copper as possible then adjust chemicals as needed with new water. Curious - were you able to have the water tested for the approximate copper level? You probably don't have your own copper test, so a local store might be able to give you an approximate reading. Just ignore everything else they say. :blah: Also, are you able to close-off and isolate the heater now to prevent additional copper from eroding into the water until such time as you can get it repaired?

I know some parts of CA can be finicky about water usage and draining, but if the copper is indeed high enough to cause the problems you are describing, a water change is probably a good start. It would be nice to avoid the entire sequestrant issue if you can. You might not have to do a complete drain, but if you knew the copper levels in the water that could help our experts determine how much to change. Also, any chance your TA reagents are old or were in the sun as well which may skew that TA test? Figured I better ask. :)

Lads, be sure to get your TA handled first, then see what the water looks like.

If you test higher than 1 ppm copper, I'd likely drain to dilute. But if you're under that, you might have decent luck with sequestrant. Copper can stain at anything above .3 ppm if not sequestered.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.