Drain and Refill vs Exchange

Got about an inch of rain last night.
Took a sample this morning and stuck in on my seed starter heating pad to warm up. pH meter said it was 67 degrees when I tested.
It is cloudy today, but I compared my CYA test to this thread: CYA test
CYA: 50...ish
pH: 7.9
TA: 60
CH: 350
Salt: 800

The readings from your TDS meter and your test of CH and Salt do not add up.

Did the CH drop? I could not find a recent CH test in your Poolmath logs.

The readings from your TDS meter and your test of CH and Salt do not add up.

Did the CH drop? I could not find a recent CH test in your Poolmath logs.
Very good catch.
TDS reading to accompany the full TF100 results: 900ppm

I went back and rechecked the numbers from yesterday. It turns out the meter has a little "x10" indicator that I missed. So the "discharge" number from yesterday should've been over 1000. Right now it is measuring 1400.

How are you testing the Salt level? Do you have a SWCG?
I'm using my new K-1766 for salt. I think it seems pretty consistent as I measured 1800 before the water exchange.
I am about to install an SWCG (RJ60+). I've got the wiring done. Re-doing all the plumbing it in this weekend to swap in my new VS pump, CCP520 filter and the RJ60+ cell and flow sensor.

Reactions: mknauss
Be sure to add those items to your signature ---
Done! I assume the next steps are:
1. Do Plumbing
2. Run pump
3. Check chemicals
4. Get pH down toward 7.2 (assuming no other issues... I could increase CYA slightly using some 1" dichlor tabs I still have?)
5. Add liquid chlorine to bring up FC to SLAM level
6. Pass OCLT (pool is blue and crystal clear since it is still cold so I'm assuming I won't really need to SLAM for multiple days)
7. Turn on heater -- get water to at least 65
8. Add salt (currently looks like 13 bags, but I will re-measure salt level after OCLT)
9. Turn on SWCG

Did I get anything out of order?

Do an OCLT as soon as you have things mixed up and see if you need to follow the SLAM process. You may not need to.

You should not run your heater to just warm up the water a little. See the Pentair manual. There is a warning about it.
You are best to use liquid chlorine until your pool water warms enough for the SWCG to operate.

Do an OCLT as soon as you have things mixed up and see if you need to follow the SLAM process. You may not need to.

You should not run your heater to just warm up the water a little. See the Pentair manual. There is a warning about it.
You are best to use liquid chlorine until your pool water warms enough for the SWCG to operate.
Thanks for all the help.

I think my 65 degrees number matches the manual:
SPRING AND FALL OPERATION
If the pool is only used occasionally, lower the pool thermostat to 65° F (18° C). and leave the heater on. This will keep the pool and the surrounding ground warm enough so that the heater should restore the pool to acomfortable temperature within about one day.
COLD WEATHER OPERATION
The heater may be operated in the wintertime, provided air temperatures remain above freezing and the water temperature is not permitted to drop below 65° F (18°C). Extended heater operation with water temperatures below 65° F (10° C) can result in serious damage to the heater and is not covered by warranty.
NOTICE: When starting the heater for the swimming season with a water temperature below 50° F (10° C), the heater may be used to heat the water; however, make sure that the heater operates continuously until the water temperature reaches the heater’s minimum setting of 65°F (18° C)
but I can give myself some more wiggle room. My kids actually intend to use to pool ASAP, and we're all trapped at home, so I'm happy to just switch it on to our normal swimming temp.

Plumbing rebuild (mostly) complete! I didn't finish the heater bypass or the waste connection, but I have enough together to run the primary path. (Interestingingly, I have a very slow leak from one of the Jandy 3-way values on the side that is not connected).
I didn't test pH, but from my last test, I figured it was near 8.0. I added about 3 cups of 31% acid from a jug from last year.
I also added 2 gallons of 6% chlorine and 1 gallon of 10%. None of it brand new.
Let that mix and now my numbers are:
FC: 9.5
CC: 0.5
pH: 8.0
My pH is still pretty high, so I added another couple cups of acid. I will check in the morning.
Heater is on, so hopefully tomorrow I can add salt and fire up the SWCG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.