Dr. Dryden's Activate versus other glass media- worth the cost??

nletchworth

Jun 20, 2021
East Texas
Does anyone have any experience using Dr. Dryden's Activate glass versus other glass media such as Vitroclean or others? Dr. Dryden's will cost me 856.00 (66.00 per 25-pound bag) whereas Vitroclean will cost me 189.00 (28 per 50-pound bag). In my mind, glass is glass! I see Dr. Dryden claims you will never have to change the media- but if there is something special added to this glass, then in my mind, over time that additive would wear off. I'm just a pool owner, no pro, so before dropping this kind of cash, I want to know what exactly I would gain by spending an extra 700 bucks on bags of crushed soda bottles. Thanks!!

Having tried virtually every type of media available for a "sand" filter, I have found that proper filter-sand works well. Glass sand replacement is recycled glass bottles. Bottle glass is harder than window glass and will hold up to the backwash process. There is a natural property of colored glass that helps it both attract smaller particles and release the dirt on backwashing. It may be that property "Dr. Dryden" is taking advantage of in his advertising. Not likely worth the added cost if you want to go with a glass alternative.

I don't know about Dryden's, but I got generic glass fill from the local pool store and I now see my water clear up faster after adding anything that causes temporary cloudiness (metal seq, orenda, etc..) compared to when I was on sand.
I'm overly OCD though and I'm sure most people would be fine with water that appears clear, but I'm out there at night staring at underwater LED lights looking for particles floating by and playing with TDS meters lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.