Edmond, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I ordered a refill from TFTestkits and some unknown reagent(s) leaked inside the ziploc. I took everything out and rinsed / dried off, but I notice the DPD powder is basically just one solid block, grey with some dark spots and I have to scrape crumbs off the edges to scoop and test. I don't know what reagent(s) it's been contaminated with, but it still turns pink in the test.

Safe to use? Throw it out?

I've reached out to TFTestkits by phone and email, no response in 3 days.

Same thing happened to me...the reagents leaking in the bag. This is the 2nd recent post I've seen of it happening as well. It would probably save them some headache to ship in a box with padding instead of a loose bag.

Reactions: BowserB
It would probably save them some headache to ship in a box with padding instead of a loose bag.
Or ship dry reagents in their own sealed bag. Or tape the lids of the bottles. Basic quality control is pretty simple.

I love the idea of helping small businesses and not using the Prime Empire for everything in my life, but "so covered up in work we can't give you a call back or answer emails" is the reason I came here in the first place for pool maintenance. I can get most if not all of these reagents a half mile away at the pool store, and if something's wrong with them I can just return for a refund.

I debated if I should say anything to the TF test kits people about mine and now I'm thinking I should. I thought it was due to humidity but maybe it's possible my CYA or other reagent leaked?

Attachments

• 20210831_122029 (1).jpg
    20210831_122029 (1).jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: TexEdmond
Or ship dry reagents in their own sealed bag. Or tape the lids of the bottles. Basic quality control is pretty simple.

I love the idea of helping small businesses and not using the Prime Empire for everything in my life, but "so covered up in work we can't give you a call back or answer emails" is the reason I came here in the first place for pool maintenance. I can get most if not all of these reagents a half mile away at the pool store, and if something's wrong with them I can just return for a refund.
I've had poorly packaged products from the "Prime Empire", too. The "empire" is more responsive to problems than 3 days with no reply, though.

I’ll take mom and pops any day. I have not had good dealings with the Empire.
Just to troll and confuse everyone, when we lived in Seattle I was going to get a tee shirt printed:

"Seattle:
SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESS!
Amazon
Boeing
Microsoft
Starbucks
Nordstrom
Redfin"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I emptied out the chunks of DPD powder into a Ziploc bag today and crushed it up with my fingers lightly and was able to pour it out into the jar. It seems to work, just wondering I can trust the numbers. It's been a long time since chemistry class and there's no way to tell what leaked inside that bag.

FC is a bit high on these tests and I have the SWG turned down to 10% from normal 25-30, but that might just be due to working my way thru the 2 tabs I put in my feeder because I was out of town last weekend.

I emptied out the chunks of DPD powder into a Ziploc bag today and crushed it up with my fingers lightly and was able to pour it out into the jar. It seems to work, just wondering I can trust the numbers. It's been a long time since chemistry class and there's no way to tell what leaked inside that bag.

FC is a bit high on these tests and I have the SWG turned down to 10% from normal 25-30, but that might just be due to working my way thru the 2 tabs I put in my feeder because I was out of town last weekend.

Did this get resolved?

I've been using the powder, just smooshed the clumps back into powder. It seems to be working just fine. I didn't get a chemistry answer to the question, mostly just a "ahh, use it up and you'll be fine." I did receive a coupon code for the cost of a replacement, will redeem that when I'm running low on this jar.

For what it's worth, seeing several other members with the same issue, now I can't say with certainty that the leaked reagent bottles were the cause of the powder contamination.

Reactions: Saturn94
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.