DPD-FAS test water doesn't turn pink

afreil

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
Nashville, TN
Got the pool going a couple of weeks ago. Tested the water for free chlorine using the Chlorine Drop Test. We've used this method for 6 years. This time, after adding the R-870 powder, the water did not turn pink. The powder was past it's expiration date, so I figured it had gone bad. Ordered some more and re-tested today. Same results. The water does not turn pink. This has never happened before. What is happening?

Just how much chlorine have you added to make you think that your FC is insanely high? We're talking probably 50+ FC to see this reaction. If you haven't dumped in a hundred gallons of chlorine then I am pretty doubtful that's the issue...

Have you tried adding the R-0003 to see if you have any Combined Chlorine? Or even more importantly, what is your CYA level?

Ok, thanks, I'll try another scoop. Sounds like we may have mega-high chlorine. The water is clear and everything looks great except for not being able to get an FC reading.
Did it flash pink? If not, adding the whole bottle of powder won't help because that isn't the problem.

Pools don't go green in a matter of hours. It's a gradual thing. First it can't maintain chlorine, then it starts to look cloudy, then it goes green. One day with no chlorine won't turn it green, but three days without being green doesn't mean it has enough chlorine, either!

Re-tested today. I added twice as much powder this time and the water still doesn't turn pink. Chlorinator has been running at 80% for 2 weeks. CYA is very low; added stabilizer today. The water looks, feels and smells great. I'm confused.
I plan to take a water sample to a local pool shop tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG_7829.JPG
    IMG_7829.JPG
    783.7 KB · Views: 12
Re-tested today. I added twice as much powder this time and the water still doesn't turn pink. Chlorinator has been running at 80% for 2 weeks. CYA is very low; added stabilizer today. The water looks, feels and smells great. I'm confused.
I plan to take a water sample to a local pool shop tomorrow
Why? You have a test kit. You've been a member here for seven years and you still will believe a pool store over your own two eyes? You have no FC. Go look at your SWG. Is it bubbling? Are there warning any lights on? Catch a sample straight out of the return line while it's running and test it. If it's generating yet you have no residual, you're losing chlorine. Either to the sun (low CYA) or to organics (algae). If it's not generating, the problem is with the SWG.

You're begging for algae letting it sit so long without any chlorine. If the SWG isn't up to the task, add some bleach.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Your SWG was installed 7 years ago? Sounds like your cell has died. I’d follow Richard’s advice.

Why? You have a test kit. You've been a member here for seven years and you still will believe a pool store over your own two eyes? You have no FC. Go look at your SWG. Is it bubbling? Are there warning any lights on? Catch a sample straight out of the return line while it's running and test it. If it's generating yet you have no residual, you're losing chlorine. Either to the sun (low CYA) or to organics (algae). If it's not generating, the problem is with the SWG.

You're begging for algae letting it sit so long without any chlorine. If the SWG isn't up to the task, add some bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am not a pool guru. I come here for advice and help. Thankfully, my local pool shop was able to help us without berating us. Our FC is 4. Our CYA was low, leading to a false FC reading. Our chlorinator is fine, even after seven years.

Sorry that was your experience! Do you have a full set of test results from your test kit and the pool store to compare?
Your pool setup is lovely!

That is a complete and utter fabrication!

If you want to put your faith in the pool store, that's your choice. That one statement contains zero truth, so it is pretty misplaced trust. I do not know how you feel you were berated, you were told that you shouldn't go to the pool store because they will give you bad information. And that is exactly what happened!!!

You came here for advice and were given some great advice. A shame you didn't recognize it for what it is. A worse shame you still don't recognize the pool store for what it is...

I really don't understand your comment. What is utter fabrication? I simply went to the pool store for extra advice. They tested my pool water yesterday. The FC was 4. I tested my pool water today after adding stabilizer yesterday and the FC was 4 today. What exactly is the bad information I supposedly got? I'm really just trying to learn here. What was the great advice I got?

CYA has no effect on the FAS-DPD test. Any professional would know that. So either they are knowingly lying to you or they are full of bad information and passing that off to their customers. Take your pick. That's the person you decided you needed extra advice from, and the person we tried in vain to warn you about.

Like I said (in an edit, because I didn't want to make a separate post), we had trust in your ability. I'm sorry you felt that trust was misplaced.

@afreil, you are not the first TFP member to second-guess their own testing when something unusual happened or just didn't seem to follow the norm. I've done it as well. :hammer: When that happens, it's important to remember you have the tools needed, in this case the FAS-DPD. Nothing is better for FC testing. Looking back at your first post, the fact that your solution never turned pink may be new to you this year, but not surprising at all for many pools opening, especially if they couldn't open until June. So our immediate response would naturally be to get some chlorine going ASAP to avoid an algae bloom if it's not already in progress. Hopefully you still have your own R-0013 to do the proper CYA test as well which is important so you can keep the FC and CYA balanced together properly as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. CYA tests are probably the worse test to have a pool store perform. They are almost always inaccurate which then throws-off what your FC level should be.

It looks like you've been with us since 2013, so you've probably seen us caution other members about pool store testing. Those free tests are often skewed by lack of training, poor lighting, rushing to serve lots of customers, seasonal hires, etc. It's just not worth the risk when you have a proper test kit of your own anyways. We want to see you in total control of your pool, and certainly you should feel welcome to ask questions as they arise. It's unfortunate the discussion got a little off-track, but hopefully by now you are seeing pink again in your tests and things are back on track. If not, or if you have any other questions, feel free to post back to this thread or start a new one if you have any other issues. Thanks for posting, and have a good day.

Thank you, Texas Splash and SplashPad.
This is the first time I've ever sought help from a pool store, and I honestly didn't realize it was such a no-no.
My original CYA tested 0 (my test) and 1 at the pool store. After adding 4 lbs of stabilizer, the CYA came up to 30 (my test) and the next day the FAS-DPD finally showed pink! FC is 4. We are back on track, though I know I still need to up my CYA.

My original CYA tested 0 (my test) and 1 at the pool store. After adding 4 lbs of stabilizer, the CYA came up to 30 (my test) and the next day the FAS-DPD finally showed pink! FC is 4. We are back on track, though I know I still need to up my CYA.
That's good. Now since you just opened, make sure you are 100% algae-free before increasing the CYA any further in case you have to SLAM. If the water is cloudy, you see green, or are losing more than 4 ppm of FC each day, a SLAM Process could be needed. You can always do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test as well. If you squeaked-by the opening with no algae signs at all, then continue to balance the FC to the CYA as seen on the FC/CYA Levels and you should be good-to-go. :swim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.