Seminole, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
So, with the pool covered and warm, the SWCG didn't quite keep up, and OCLT had 2 ppm loss last night. I used my last gallon of 10% liquid chlorine to raise it to 14 ppm, and the SWCG is set to super chlorinate. For a number of reasons, we are taking social distancing very seriously, and won't be driving out looking for liquid chlorine when Amazon will deliver 24 one pound bags of cal-hypo shock on Thursday.

I know this isn't the ideal, but what is the downside to using dry shock rather than liquid chlorine to get my pool back on track?

Cal hypo adds calcium and chlorine. Your last CH test showed 280 ppm. So you can add some calcium without much issue. Be sure you thoroughly brush and dissolve the Cal Hypo so it does not form scale on your pool surface where you add it. It may also cloud your water when you use it. Replace water with fresh when possible to keep you CH from getting too high.

Cal hypo will also impact your pH. Monitor that.

Cal hypo adds calcium and chlorine. Your last CH test showed 280 ppm. So you can add some calcium without much issue. Be sure you thoroughly brush and dissolve the Cal Hypo so it does not form scale on your pool surface where you add it. It may also cloud your water when you use it. Replace water with fresh when possible to keep you CH from getting too high.

Cal hypo will also impact your pH. Monitor that.
Thanks! Is there any value in dissolving it in a 5 gallon bucket before adding it to the pool?

Do not pre-dissolve cal-hypo. Calcium has an exothermic reaction when it comes in contact with water. In a large volume of water that is easily absorbed, but in a small bucket it can potentially react more violently. A violent reaction could lead to some off-gassing, which is bad for anybody around.

Really you don't want to pre-dissolve any of the chemicals we use. Extra steps only add room for something to go wrong.

Reactions: mknauss
Tested this morning.. FC at 17.5. It looks like the SWCG has caught up, but I'll do an OCLT to double check. Either way, cal hypo arriving later this week, so I have a backup. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.