Doughboy top stabilizer rail replacement

Jul 7, 2013
So this is the 3rd season and my tip rails are rusted to the point they are dropping good sized rust into the pool. I bought new rails and hit them with 2 coats or Rust-Oleum. Issue I have is that doughboys have large and small stabilizers that overlap and not just in between the posts. Has anyone done a doughboy that has any tips?

Also. After 3 years I dont think they should be this rusted. I saw another post where someone said to remove bonding with which is making them rust??

Thanks everyone

We are in the process of fixing rust on our Doughboy AGP which is 15 years old. A lot of rust on the metal coping, some on the under side of the top rails, on the upright caps that the top rails are screwed into and some around the skimmer and return openings. My husband is sanding off rust and then spraying some of the items with rustoleum. We are replacing all the coping pieces both plastic and metal ones, some of the caps that the top rails screw into and the liner. He plans to also spray all of the new galvanized metal pieces that we are replacing.

So would you please explain your question a little better? Are you talking about the metal coping that is extremely rusted? Those are the only things that overlap around the pool. Also the top rails, which are uniform, do not overlap but are screwed into an upright top plate. Are those what you are talking about rusting?
It seems like there should not be that must rust after only 3 years.

Even though the metal pieces are galvanized steel, they still seem to corrode because of the chlorine, but maybe slower than non-coated steel.

Sounds like we are going through the same process but our rails may be slightly different. I have 2 sizes. Thinner oned go on first and than thicker ones overlap those by about 6 inches which makes it harder to remove them. I am going to try to get out there again this weekend and try to remove everything again. I too need to wire wheel the top plates and coat them as well.

Even with an SWG these stabilizer bars shouldn't have rusted so bad. That is why I was asking if anyone thought the bonding wore could be attacking these pieces making them rust faster

Ill update as soon as I can

Thanks and let us know how you guys make out!

We've been spending a lot of time making sure the floor sand, deep end and slopes are level. So just now getting back to your post.
The bonding wire on our pool is attached to the uprights and does not come in contact with the stabilizer bars. We add salt but do not have a SWG.
So I looked up the parts list and our pool also has 2 different sizes of stabilizer bars which need to be overlapped. So sounds like Doughboy has not changed that part of their design in the last 10 or so years. :D
We still need to finish fixing the deep end and get the liner put in before my husband and son leave for Camp on Sunday.

A curious question: How hard was it for you to cover the deep end slopes with sand? And then tamp it down?

Hope your "project" is going well. :snorkle:

Thanks again for responding. Unfortunately we just work too much and had to have a company put ours in. They were a group of guys from Jamaica but you could tell they we're old pros. They said they traveled to the states during the srping and summer for the last 10 to 15 years just installing above ground pools

I do remember they would show up around 2 or 3pm and work until 2 or 3am!

I also remember when they were doing the sand that they spent a lot of time on it shaping it and tamping to perfection
a5a5abbbab69253d223e5ef8b5b959ae.jpg
b37c1fa939dc4da376ed6bbd47520006.jpg
681703ca974e4daaa0945a3537afac49.jpg

Wow, looks nice! Just like the specs as per Doughboy instructions. :goodjob:

I spoke with my husband. He says the stabilizer rails would corrode faster if they are touching the bonding wire due to the 2 metals being dissimilar.
http://www.preservationscience.com/materials/metals/PGC.html

He had to use a lug nut specifically designed for the bonding wire to attach to the uprights. He did not run the bonding wire thru the channels on the back of the uprights which would put the bonding wire in contact with the stabilizer rails. Did the installers by any chance run the bonding wire behind the uprights, putting it in contact with the stabilizer rails? That could have caused the rapid corrosion.

The stabilizer rails on our pool are corroded but not as extreme and not dropping pieces of rust into the pool. Maybe from the salt we put in the water (do not have a SWG) or just from getting wet for so many years. Some of the screws attaching the top rails to the top plates have also corroded. We are just replacing the stabilizer rails and all the screws. Its not worth trying to sand them down. But we are sanding down the top plates and coating them.

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure they just connected the bonding wore at two locations on the outside of 2 uprights.

Either way I coated the heck out of the new rails and will be removing the top plates and with Wheeling them as well before paint. Ill try to remember to take some pictures

Thanks again!

I could be wrong here but if the bonding wire is connected to the uprights, which are connected to the top rails via screws, and the stabilizers sit under the top rail plates, chances are they are all bonded just through contact.

Fwiw my pool was a used, take it down and it's yours 12x20 doughboy about 10 years old and maintained with a SWG. There was some surface rust on all of the above parts but nothing to the point of flaking off. I sanded and repainted the top rails but didn't bother with the stabilizers at all, they were solid and in relatively good shape with plenty of galvanize left on them. Point is, if you have flaking rust after only three years, maybe give doughboy a call. Is it still covered under warranty?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just removed some end caps to get some pics to show you guys what I'm dealing with

From what I have read I can remove up to 3 top rails at a time to replace the stabilziers.

Now the issue is some of the mounting screws are so rusted I cannot get a grip with a socket. I cannot use vice grips to try to grab as the are below pre drilled holes in the top rail

Any suggestions?

067365b50fc68218ef16ff49d256bd02.jpg
c125d4d9d83dd54c35956afbc531f340.jpg
6cc272eda7e3d4717950257b786f6a82.jpg

Easy out screw remover or a small drill bit with lots of WD40, time and slow moves. It will not be fun or easy but if you take your time it can be done. Start with the Easy out first and go from there. You can get them at Lowes or such. There are videos on how to use them if you have not before.

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim. I have used them and honestly was my last choice.

I may call the installer Monday since it's only been less than 3 years. Have them look and see if they can get doughboy to warranty it some how.

A guy can dream can't he? [emoji6]

Wraenking,
Wow, that is a lot of rust. Ours is rusted but not that much. We were able to take out the screws with a socket wrench. Unable to drill but used some type of loosening oil and let it sit for hours before we could get some of them out. Hubby broke one top plate so we have to replace it. And maybe replace others if the sanding does not go well.

This fixing a pool and putting in a new liner is definitely not for the faint-hearted. We are exhausted and still not ready to put in the liner.

Soon very soon. :drown:

It is a lot of rust indeed. More than should be there just by using an SWG. That is why I am going to call the installer. If they get paid to fix it by doughboy they may "look past" the SWG.

We do live near the beach as well but that should not make it rust that fast either

For anyone wondering about Doughboy, There is a page included with my owners manual which has this printed on it. may be a tough sell getting any help.

"Attention, disregard any statements in any literature that may state that the use of a chlorine salt generating system is approved, it is not!
The use of any type of chlorine salt generating system on your pool will render your warranty coverage null and void.
the use of such systems causes premature rusting and corrosion of all metal parts that are not a manufacturing defect.
Hoffinger industries will assume no cost related to the use of such systems."

No worries and that was the language I was stating originally.

I don't really expect them to cover the installation but I have gotten other companies to do things I would never have thought they would. Haha

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.