Doubting myself on how to read CYA test result

I have the Taylor K-2006 test kit. To be honest I haven't ran through the tests in quite some time and just winged it adding bleach in to the pool over the winter. Well, the kids are back in the pool and I did the tests. The little black dot never seemed to disappear at the bottom of the tube, so I put about I think 40 ounces by weight of stabilizer.

So today (day after adding stabilizer) the kids are both complaining about their eyes hurting bad after swimming. They've been swimming for the last two months without complaints until now.

So, I just did the rest of tests and will rectify all these issues. FC:3.2, pH:7.3, TA:50, CH:40

But back to my main question: I really doubt myself as far as accurately reading the CYA test. Does the black dot have to completely disappear? Or just fade? Doesn't this vary depending on the persons eyesight etc? I feel like if I keep looking hard enough it will always be visible.

If it's just until it gets real cloudy, I'd say it's about 50-60... If it's until completely disappears no matter how hard I look, maybe the whole tube almost to top.

Welcome! :wave:

Start by mixing the stuff real good. Then fill the view tube to the 80 line. Then go stand in the sun and hold the tube down at waist level. Do you see the dot? If so, CYA is less than 80. Pour the solution back, mix it up again, pour to the 70 line. Just work you way up (down) the scale. Look for the dot, then look away, then look again. If you think you've got it, go back and reuse the solution and start 10 higher than you think. Do you see it? Go to the next level. There's no shame in repeating the test several times. You're reusing the same sample, so you're not wasting reagent.

This method avoids staring at the dot for so long at a time. It eliminates this:
attachment.php

Reactions: crimson avenger
Welcome! :wave:

Start by mixing the stuff real good. Then fill the view tube to the 80 line. Then go stand in the sun and hold the tube down at waist level. Do you see the dot? If so, CYA is less than 80. Pour the solution back, mix it up again, pour to the 70 line. Just work you way up (down) the scale. Look for the dot, then look away, then look again. If you think you've got it, go back and reuse the solution and start 10 higher than you think. Do you see it? Go to the next level. There's no shame in repeating the test several times. You're reusing the same sample, so you're not wasting reagent.

This method avoids staring at the dot for so long at a time. It eliminates this:
attachment.php
This was a very helpful method. Really got me to understand how to view and perform the CYA test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.