Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
Anyone want to bounce these numbers around, and see if anything looks awry? I'm trying to get used to the TF Pro kit.

My CYA test keeps coming up 50. Pool store (I know) comes up with 70. Please reassure I'm doing these right.

Salt is @ 2400 because I only added 3/4 of my required salt to the pool yesterday.

Also, I'm confused about Calcium and CSI. It doesn't matter if a vinyl pool had little to no calcium, right? Why does the store and pool math both suggest a calcium target for my vinyl pool?

Thanks, All!

------------------------------------------
Test Results 04-30-2021 @ 10:27 PM
------------------------------------------
Free Chlorine: 7.5
Combined Chlorine: 0.0
pH: 7.5
Total Alkalinity: 60
Calcium Hardness: 75
CYA: 50
Salt: 2400
Temperature: 63°F
CSI: -1.20

Last edited:
First off....STOP going to the pool store. They just mess with your head and nothing says their test is worth a darn, anyway. Trust yourself. It gets easier.

Don't worry about CSI with a vinyl pool.

Your numbers look great to me!

Maddie :flower:

If you're on a lap top or desk computer- look at the bottom of this page for the classic web version of PoolMath,
Its easier (for me) to tweak the variables on the chemistry to see how things change..... like temp of water etc.

Thanks, Maddie!

I'm wondering if I should raise the CYA as per the FC/CYA chart or leave it at 50 until it gets hotter out, while also seeing how my SWG keeps up when i hook it up in the next couple days. It's significantly oversized, so thinking leave the CYA @ 50 until I see how it meets (or exceeds?) the demand once I get the run times dialed in.

Thoughts?

If the cell is oversized you can minimize your pump run time to help extend the cell's lifespan (higher cell % for shorter hours)....or just run the cell on real low % (which is what I tend to do because I like long skimming time)

The lowest setting on my model is 25%. My plan is to let the FC fall to the right level, then start it with my timer set @ 10 or 12hrs run time, and adjust from there.

This is my first season fully running by the TFP method, but least years reading up did lead me to pulling the cover off of a perfectly clear pool last week!

Yay for clear pools at opening! :goodjob:

Some SWG have "Winter modes" which allow the cell to run at half the rate selected. See if yours does. 12 hours at 25% sounds like a LOT of free chlorine (FC) for your pool. Got a few kids that needs baths? Toss'em in! That'll help lower that FC, :laughblue:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.