Door locks/child safety

Aug 16, 2018
Avon, Indiana
We are finishing up our pool build and am trying to see all of out options for child safety around the pool. We have an auto cover but I am wondering what other measures people have in place. We have a sliding glass door that has just the standard lock on it but even our 3 yr old can open it. We will also install a fence around the pool with pad locks. I just want to make sure we make it as safe as possible.

We have French doors leading outside and I had the door installer add “pool code” dead bolts - basically standard deadbolts set 30” below the top of the door frame. No one under 9 years old can reach them. You could add a locking mechanism up higher than your child’s best reach to ensure safety. My door alarm system is always set to “chime” mode so that whenever a door or window is opened, there are three audible beeps. That helps too.

Best defense - swimming lessons for all kids with rescue swim training to teach kids to float on their backs and kick to a sidewall. All my kiddos got lessons every year and all were able to rescue float themselves by age 3. None of them ever wore floaties or floatation vests. They learned to swim and float of their own accord so that they did not have to rely on an external device.

This is what we used for the sliding doors. We put it on the top so only an adult can reach it.

Reactions: jarcher89
As Matt said, the best defense is swimming lessons for the kids. This can not be stressed enough.

With the auto-cover and pool fence, you have 2 possible barriers. On the pool gates, instead of padlocks, maybe look into a key lockable magnetic latch similar to this: D&D Technologies - World's most trusted gate hardware. You can also add a self closer to the sliding pation door - and add a self closing latch up high on the door so the kiddos can't reach it. Similar to: Door Closer & Latch

Both items linked were found thru a quick Google search and may not reflect the best product for your situation - but were added to give you an idea of what is out there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.