done shocking, but water still very cloudy!

I have done an overnight fc loss test 3 times, each time losing 0-1 ppm. I also am consistently at 0.5 or 0 CC. My biggest issue now is the cloudiness. The water is getting a tiny bit better everyday, but I still can only see about 1 ft. down. Here are my latest numbers:

FC - 5
CC - 0.5
Ph - 7.0
TA - 70
CYA - still less than 20, but it has been less than a week since I added it via the sock method

I am still losing a lot of FC during the day, so I do believe that I need to add more CYA. I also am going to add more baking soda to raise the ph and TA a bit. What can I do for the cloudiness? I would really love to see the bottom of my pool!!

Also, there is a gritty/grainy substance on the walls of the pool. It rubs off by hand with a little work. I brushed and brushed while shocking, but obviously it did not come off. Anyone know what this is, and/or how to get rid of it?

Thanks for all your help!!!

Because of your past history of high pH, I would suspect the grittiness to be calcium scaling. removing it by hand as you are doing is tedious but probably the most effective method. Keep your pH in the mid 7's and it will probably not reoccur.

Baking Soda will have little effect on your pH. Time to head back to Pool School and read "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry"

Use 20 mule team boraqx instead....personally, I'd leave it alone and test frequently to make sure it goes no lower.

Have you done a CH test and posted that for us? I couldn't find it. It's possible it could have an influence on your cloudiness issue.

Other than posting CH, just keep doing what you are doing. As long as your pool clarity is improving, you'll get there.

I just tested the CH - it is 120.

I added about 3 lbs of CYA last week. I am aiming for a goal of 40. I think that is right in between the recommended range of 30-50...is that correct? Since I didn't know the actual value because it was below 20, I used a guesstimate of 10 and it said add a little more than 5 lbs. The PC recommends not to add the entire amount to begin with, so I went with 3. It is obvious that I need to add the remaining 2 lbs. Am I on the right track?

Thanks for all your help!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.