Dolphin "Ultra Fine Filter" - can it pick up DE?

zapados

Aug 13, 2016
Merrimack, NH

Does anyone have one and know if the Ultra Fine Filter can pick up DE from the bottom of the pool?

My old AquaBot cloth filter picked it up like a champ! But that robot has seen better days. The different filtering system on the Dolphin Active S20 (and variants) looks easier to clean, but does it have a the fine enough mesh to pick up the finest of fines - DE?

Thank you for your help!

Does anyone have one and know if the Ultra Fine Filter can pick up DE from the bottom of the pool?

My old AquaBot cloth filter picked it up like a champ! But that robot has seen better days. The different filtering system on the Dolphin Active S20 (and variants) looks easier to clean, but does it have a the fine enough mesh to pick up the finest of fines - DE?

Thank you for your help!
My Nautilus (2010 model) just died but did a pretty good job picking up DE from our ig free-form pool. It used the 2 cartridge filters (loaded underneath like the Premier). We just realized that all these years we never changed the cartridges to the Ultra Fine ones...only used the Fine...probably would've done an even better job with those...but maybe wouldn't have lasted us 9 years🤷‍♀️. I think the S20 only has Fine filters but not 100% on that, but I would think it would pick it up just fine. Hope this helps. There may be a youtube video on that filter basket on similar units and the debris they catch. In the market now for a new unit and was hoping that the new cordless Liberty 400 from Maytronics was available but can't wait for that unfortunately. Considering the Quantum...

Reactions: zapados
The S200, Active 20, Triton PS, Doheny Discovery and all variants of this cleaner with the pleated filter inserts will have no problem picking up DE. I've done it multiple times when I've had to open up my system and it backfeeds some DE back up through the floor drain. I think I remember getting up a lot of DE while I had the leaf filters in as well, but it has been a while.

If particles of material are visible to the naked eye, ANY filter should capture those particles.

Sand, DE, or cartridge should all be capable of that. If it doesn't, something is wrong with that filter or it's installation.

Reactions: zapados
Great information all, thanks!

My Nautilus (2010 model) just died but did a pretty good job picking up DE from our ig free-form pool. It used the 2 cartridge filters (loaded underneath like the Premier). We just realized that all these years we never changed the cartridges to the Ultra Fine ones...only used the Fine...probably would've done an even better job with those...but maybe wouldn't have lasted us 9 years🤷‍♀️. I think the S20 only has Fine filters but not 100% on that, but I would think it would pick it up just fine. Hope this helps. There may be a youtube video on that filter basket on similar units and the debris they catch. In the market now for a new unit and was hoping that the new cordless Liberty 400 from Maytronics was available but can't wait for that unfortunately. Considering the Quantum...
I'm on the verge of picking up an Active S20 myself. I did a fair amount of research and feel pretty confident with the choice. The Active S20 does have Ultra Fine Filters...the Dolphin E30 is the one which only gives you the Fine Filters. Anyways, Marina has good prices and has been super-helpful and responsive, so I'm on board recommending checking them out for your pool cleaner needs! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.