Dolphin S300i cord degradation

wmmallette

Silver Supporter
Mar 8, 2016
New Albany, Mississippi
I have had a Maytronics Dolphin S300i for three sessions now. It is Great! This summer We have been noticing that the power cord has a sticky feeling on the outside. I can’t say that its degrading, but I am not sure what is causing the issue. We have a salt pool and use the dolphin several times a week.

Anyone else have this issues with this or other cleaner cords?

Yeah, my cord is a little tacky too...that part that is in the water which is about 10-15ft after the robot. The part of the cord that stays mostly on the deck is a little dirty but not "sticky" at all. What you're seeing and feeling is the hydrolysis of the rubber exterior by water and chlorine. Essentially the rubber material is breaking down and becoming more porous and "sticky". The cord is in no danger of failing as the outer rubber layer is very thick and the hydrolysis is only affecting a very thin layer of the material on the surface. Maybe in 50 years that section of the cord will wear away from water exposure but I'll be long gone before it every happens....

Reactions: MyAZPool
Yeah, my cord is a little tacky too...that part that is in the water which is about 10-15ft after the robot. The part of the cord that stays mostly on the deck is a little dirty but not "sticky" at all. What you're seeing and feeling is the hydrolysis of the rubber exterior by water and chlorine. Essentially the rubber material is breaking down and becoming more porous and "sticky". The cord is in no danger of failing as the outer rubber layer is very thick and the hydrolysis is only affecting a very thin layer of the material on the surface. Maybe in 50 years that section of the cord will wear away from water exposure but I'll be long gone before it every happens....
Matt,
Can I assume that this hydrolysis is the same thing that has happened to the rubber tires of my Hayward Aquanaut?
Thanks
r.

Matt,
Can I assume that this hydrolysis is the same thing that has happened to the rubber tires of my Hayward Aquanaut?
Thanks
r.

Yup.

Water is the most effective solvent on the planet. Everything will be degraded by water. Why do you suppose so many bodies are gotten rid of by fitting them with “concrete shoes” and dumping them in rivers and oceans???

..... ummmm, not that I’d have any first-hand knowledge of that :whistle:

Yup.

Water is the most effective solvent on the planet. Everything will be degraded by water. Why do you suppose so many bodies are gotten rid of by fitting them with “concrete shoes” and dumping them in rivers and oceans???

..... ummmm, not that I’d have any first-hand knowledge of that :whistle:
:laughblue: So there's no "Guedo" in Joyfulnoise? ?

:laughblue: So there's no "Guedo" in Joyfulnoise? ?

So the guy from the US Marshall’s WIT-PRO division just texted me and said I’m supposed to answer that with “No, none at all....”

That’s the official answer to that question and I’m sticking by it ... :cool:

So the guy from the US Marshall’s WIT-PRO division just texted me and said I’m supposed to answer that with “No, none at all....”

That’s the official answer to that question and I’m sticking by it ... :cool:

Does this... “guy”... know about the current extraction process you have running out of your garage?
I’m sure the guys that use a lot of “A’s” and “O’s” in their vocabulary would be very interested in your whereabouts!

• Haha
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.