Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
We have a new pool, dedicated vacuum port

Now its time for a pool cleaner.

And i narrowed it down to Dolphin S200 or the Aquanaut 400.

Zero trees/leafs near me

Should i just spend the money on a dolphin? or is an Aquanaut enough?

2.7hp vsp pump (overkill)
12k gallons
60 Sq Ft DE filter (overkill)

Robots are popular among many here. Personally, I've seen early failures on some exceptionally expensive models which are unsurprisingly expensive to repair. This turned me off to them early on.

We have 20+ Aquanaut cleaners. More even of the Rebel copycat. They work very well. Easy to rebuild.

That's my pick. I'll let other chime in so you have some consensus.

The,

If you are the kind of guy who lets a pool service take care of your pool, then I am sure that the suction side cleaner is all you need.

If the pool is like your baby and you are going to be looking after it more than every now and again, then robot might be a better choice.

There is no 'right' answer as everyone has a different opinion of what works best for them.

I have three pools that I look after about 3 times per week. All three pools have Dolphin S200 'style' robots because that is what works best for me. Two of the three pools do not have a dedicated suction line and only one skimmer. This all but eliminates using a suction cleaner on an ongoing basis. The pool at my house does have a dedicated suction port, but I have never used it, as I have always had robot cleaners.

At my house, I like the idea that I only have to see the cleaner in my pool when I want to use it. I don't have a lot of junk getting into my pools, so I tend to only use it two or three times a week, except when all the leaves in the neighborhood are falling.

The S200 style robots were about $700 dollars a few years ago and they are now about $850 or so. My last robot lasted over 7 years, but based upon the feedback from this site the S200 style robots do not seem to be as robust. My last robot cost about $1,300, so, it appears that the price reduction might have come with some longevity drawbacks. :( None of my current batch of robots have failed, but none of them are over 3 years old yet. Time will tell.

I can say that if one of them goes South today, I will have a replacement on my porch within a couple of days.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.