Dolphin Proteus Pool Vacuum - Close to the End?

tedbundrick

Apr 24, 2019
Lafayette
I have a Maytronics Dolphin (I think it’s a DX4?) that has been having problems of late with startup. I’ve read previous threads that led me to check the impeller. In past, checking/clearing the impeller resolved startup faults. Recently, startups are sometimes still problematic, despite cleared impeller. I don’t see any other areas that are visually of issue. After several failed startups, I tried turning unit on this evening and it’s a WORKING. I’m concerned that startups, however, are not dependable.

Are there other easy fixes or should I be seeking a total replacement? Thanks.

I'm sorry you haven't received an answer. I have a DX3, that has experienced some of the same problems, that worked themselves out...don't know how. Sadly, many owners of older Maytronics have found that dolphins/robots in general are wear items, and tend to, these days, be a total replacement.

Tried to find a thread that @JoyfulNoise posted in the last year on his unsuccessful attempts at repairing a robot, and his conclusions WRT robots...basically, 3-5 years is a good run. Maybe he will chime in...

Not much to add. Probably the motor assembly is going bad. You can pull it apart and see if water got inside but usually when there are start up issues and no obvious signs of restriction on the impeller, the motor assembly is dying. At this point your only realistic option is to replace the entire cleaner. You can continue to go with Dolphin if you want but Aiper is another option. They just released their latest robot which is completely cordless. They are a new company so not much experience with them or how long their products will last. But there are members on TFP that are trying them out.

Good luck.

Not much to add. Probably the motor assembly is going bad. You can pull it apart and see if water got inside but usually when there are start up issues and no obvious signs of restriction on the impeller, the motor assembly is dying. At this point your only realistic option is to replace the entire cleaner. You can continue to go with Dolphin if you want but Aiper is another option. They just released their latest robot which is completely cordless. They are a new company so not much experience with them or how long their products will last. But there are members on TFP that are trying them out.

Good luck.
@PoolStored & @JoyfulNoise, thank you both for your feedback. This forum never fails to give me insight. I was afraid of the answer given but have accepted it and will seek out a new cleaner. I'll also see if any Aiper threads on forum. I'm not opposed to another Dolphin. Scared to death, however, of approaching summer with no option so I better get to work researching!!!!

Any leads on most cost effective & dependable options out there these days? Thanks guys

S200 variant Dolphins are probably the most economical - they give excellent cleaning performance but with no bells and whistles. They are mid-line in cost currently running around $1000. Give Margaret a call at Marina Spa and Patio (Colorado) for options. They can sell over the phone to you and it will count as a brick and mortar sale for warranty purposes.

Don’t know Aiper line that well. Check the most recent Aiper threads. Perhaps @tcat can help with that.

S200 variant Dolphins are probably the most economical - they give excellent cleaning performance but with no bells and whistles. They are mid-line in cost currently running around $1000. Give Margaret a call at Marina Spa and Patio (Colorado) for options. They can sell over the phone to you and it will count as a brick and mortar sale for warranty purposes.

Don’t know Aiper line that well. Check the most recent Aiper threads. Perhaps @tcat can help with that.
I'm waiting to try the Seagull Pro model, looks promising. I've never tried a Dolphin with all the repair issues (and costs) I've read about. I'm very happy with the Aquabot SP200 I bought from Target at start of last season. Was under $500 at the time, but now $650. Still one of the lowest cost bots with a swivel cord. Only real issue is only has a center brush, so doesn't hit the waterline. Not a big deal for me. The cord never gets twisted & has never stuck on a drain, my biggest issues with my old Aquabot 4WD (still working after 9 years). Dual filters, so there 2 to clean rather than one. Would like a reliable cordless!

My Dolphin 200 (bought from Marina 3 years ago now) is pretty much toast. It died and the power supply was replaced, and for the last year or so, it’s not been doing a good job of cleaning. Definitely does not cover the whole pool.
TBH, I was never a huge fan of this cleaner. Felt like it removed a good bit of my pebbles, didn’t clean out easily, the swivel cord did NOTHING to prevent tangles. My neighbor has a Polaris (sport?) that does a much better job.
I have a long, small pool. It’s 35x9 rectangle. Basically a lap pool.

Any suggestions?

My Dolphin 200 (bought from Marina 3 years ago now) is pretty much toast. It died and the power supply was replaced, and for the last year or so, it’s not been doing a good job of cleaning. Definitely does not cover the whole pool.
TBH, I was never a huge fan of this cleaner. Felt like it removed a good bit of my pebbles, didn’t clean out easily, the swivel cord did NOTHING to prevent tangles. My neighbor has a Polaris (sport?) that does a much better job.
I have a long, small pool. It’s 35x9 rectangle. Basically a lap pool.

Any suggestions?

Are robots your only option? Do you have any pump-driven ports for running other styles of cleaner?

If not and robots are the only way to go for you then you can look at AquaBot or Aiper robots. Maybe they’ll work better for you. Aiper has a high end cordless model.

Are robots your only option? Do you have any pump-driven ports for running other styles of cleaner?

If not and robots are the only way to go for you then you can look at AquaBot or Aiper robots. Maybe they’ll work better for you. Aiper has a high end cordless model.

I still have a pump for a pressure cleaner. But TBH, wasn’t super impressed with that either. Are the pressure cleaners better now?

I still have a pump for a pressure cleaner. But TBH, wasn’t super impressed with that either. Are the pressure cleaners better now?

No idea. I use a suction cleaner as I have a dedicated suction port. I have been down both roads and, for me and my pool, suction cleaners are optimal. I hate how expensive robots are and how cheaply they are made with “engineered failure” in mind. So when my S300i died, I was done and swore off robots forever. I think suction cleaners have gotten better with more wheeled and tracked version available or, like mine, the old-school membrane type.

If you don’t like the pressure cleaner, is it possible to convert your pressure port to a suction port? If the buried line is 1-1/2” PVC from the pad to the pool, then it’s possible. Otherwise, if it’s just 3/4” flexible PVC from the booster pump to the pool, then you’re stuck with a pressure cleaner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No idea. I use a suction cleaner as I have a dedicated suction port. I have been down both roads and, for me and my pool, suction cleaners are optimal. I hate how expensive robots are and how cheaply they are made with “engineered failure” in mind. So when my S300i died, I was done and swore off robots forever. I think suction cleaners have gotten better with more wheeled and tracked version available or, like mine, the old-school membrane type.

If you don’t like the pressure cleaner, is it possible to convert your pressure port to a suction port? If the buried line is 1-1/2” PVC from the pad to the pool, then it’s possible. Otherwise, if it’s just 3/4” flexible PVC from the booster pump to the pool, then you’re stuck with a pressure cleaner.
I have 1.5” pipe. Then the flex just above ground. But wouldn’t that mean an entirely new pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.