Dolphin Premier

scubasandra

Jan 21, 2013
hello everyone, I am currently working on my pool cleaner. The cleaner would stop moving but the impeller would continue to spin. I have recently replaced the tracks and guide wheels. The rollers seem to move easier in one direction than the other. Is this normal? It worked after a replaced them for an entire cleaning cycle but now have stopped working again. Also the tracks I purchased were not original dolphin replacement parts any suggestions? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The symptoms you describe are typical of a drive motor failure. But just to test, take the robot out of the water, remove the filter basket and put it up on blocks so the treads are off the ground. Turn the cleaner on and watch the unit. Make sure the impeller spins up (there's usually 3 distinct high pitched tones it makes for different speeds) and that the drive motor moves the treads forward and backwards. If it fails any of these self-test processes, then you'll need to remove the motor assembly and take it apart. You need to look for water incursion. You can disassemble the drive motor or the impeller motor to see if the carbon brushes are worn out. Replacing the carbon brushes might fix the problem. Also Inspect the printed circuit board carefully with a magnifying glass. Look for any burned out components, swollen capacitors, or scorched copper traces. If the PCB is damaged, it's likely dead.

Maytronics doesn't make these internal components available as spare parts. So you have to try to rebuild what is there or abandon the robot if you can't. It is NOT worth buying a new motor assembly outside of a warranty replacement. Maytronics charges $450 for them and that's pretty much half the price of a new robot. Just like a washing machine that has failed, sometimes repairing it is simply not worth it.

Sandra,

The Premier is an older design and does not have the same motor that is in the newer S200 style units.

I had a Premier that lasted me for over 7 years before it bit the dust. The first thing to look at is the swivel, if your unit has one..

Once water gets into the motor assembly, it is best to just scrap the unit and buy a new one or go with a different cleaner.

To take the motor out of the current S200 style robots takes about 5 minutes, To take the motor box out of the Premier takes about a month and a couple of pints of blood. I still have the scars to prove it. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

• Wow
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
thank you for the responses. I did take the motor out and looked at it. I didn't see any water inside and no condensation. but I didn't look at it with a magnifying glass. So if its the motor I have seen some on amazon. they are refurbished motors for 209.00 is that a waste of money?

My next question is what model brand do you suggest if I have to purchase a new one. I have had two dolphin cleaners in 10yrs....for the price it seems like a terrible investment. ugh but then again when they work they are amazing!

thanks again

thank you for the responses. I did take the motor out and looked at it. I didn't see any water inside and no condensation. but I didn't look at it with a magnifying glass. So if its the motor I have seen some on amazon. they are refurbished motors for 209.00 is that a waste of money?

My next question is what model brand do you suggest if I have to purchase a new one. I have had two dolphin cleaners in 10yrs....for the price it seems like a terrible investment. ugh but then again when they work they are amazing!

thanks again

The big players are Maytronics, Polaris, and AquaBot. Aiper is the “new kid on the block” with several models including a completely cordless, battery driven model. Their track record has yet to be determined.

It’s my firm opinion that robots manufactured 10 years ago were much higher quality than the ones produced today. With the pandemic obliterating the supply chain and manufacturers scrambling to find parts wherever they could, I think any robot built in the last 3 years is basically a gamble. Assume 3-5 years lifetime as the worst case scenario and set your expectations to low. Also, don’t buy high end fancy robots, get the one with smallest set of features you absolutely want and then go from there. Cost goes up with every little added feature whether or not you actually use it.

The Dolphin s200 and all of its variants is considered the entry level robot around here. Does a good job cleaning with the least amount of bells and whistles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.