Dolphin M500 vs Polaris 9550

I am in nearly the same position as miles267. I'm torn between the Dolphin Triton (or Triton Plus), the s300i, the m400, or the polaris 9550. I like the tritons, s300i, and polaris for the easy top loader basket each one has. I like the polaris and m400 for the split brushes up front, rather than the longer single brush. Haven't read any research on the difference there per se, but my intuition tell me the split brushes scrub more than the single. Have no idea where I'm getting that from....

I have a lot of trees in the yard (several crape myrtles which drop leaves and flowers, and shed bark occasionally, and a large elm as well), and am worried about the smaller capacity of the m400 in getting to all that debris.

Anyone have any experience with the triton or triton plus? Here's a pic of my pool as well. Have some steep walls in deep end that will need climbing. Looking to eliminate the need for pool boy, aka me....just want to sit back and enjoy!

The reason for the split brushes on the Polaris is due to the drive system and turning, the brushes are driven by the front wheels so when it turns clockwise or counterclockwise the brush on the turning side changes direction.

M500 has zero issues with the main drain. It plows right over it, and even cleans stuff that is stuck to it.

Wow. Just watched the Dolphin M500 promo video. That’s basically my Dolphin Oasis Z5, only with a center brush. That brush is mission critical. Maytronics should not even manufacture the Z5 or any robot without a center brush. If only I had purchased that model in first place, I wouldn’t be contemplating switching from Maytronics altogether....

Folks who have the the M400 or M500, how do those units do with cleaning up leaves? As I mentioned earlier, I've got several trees in the yard....9 to be exact. The two skimmers will do some good work, and I'll be out there doing a lot as well. In terms of supplementing with a robot, anybody think the capacity of those units can handle a yard with a bunch of trees?

Thx

The 4WD Polaris cleaners really have no problem with main drains, they just bounce right over them along with that the impeller jet is unlike most cleaners, it's aft which provides thrust along with vacuum in the right direction. The large wheels along with the 4WD really aid in getting stuck.

Pulled the trigger on a P965iQ robot from Leslie’s today. While I’ve only had an opp to run one cleaning cycle with it, and can’t speak to the durability, it ran for a full 2.5 hr Deep Cleaning cycle in our pool today without getting stuck once. Something my Maytronics Dolphin Oasis Z5 cleaner has never achieved. The Polaris is a substantial cleaner in terms of size and weight, and it tackled the walls and main drains with ease. No matter how many reviews I read or YouTube videos watched, knew the drain issue would be a risk when I bought it. A demo unit wasn’t viable
In my case. Fortunately it worked out as I had hoped.

Pulled the trigger on a P965iQ robot from Leslie’s today. While I’ve only had an opp to run one cleaning cycle with it, and can’t speak to the durability, it ran for a full 2.5 hr Deep Cleaning cycle in our pool today without getting stuck once. Something my Maytronics Dolphin Oasis Z5 cleaner has never achieved. The Polaris is a substantial cleaner in terms of size and weight, and it tackled the walls and main drains with ease. No matter how many reviews I read or YouTube videos watched, knew the drain issue would be a risk when I bought it. A demo unit wasn’t viable
In my case. Fortunately it worked out as I had hoped.

Polaris takes advantage of the aft thrust jet, even if it high centers on a drain or other object, the thrust jet will eventually push it off as well the big wheel diameter and width helps.

I rented a Polaris 9650 from my local pool supply store for $50 for 1 day. It was great! It had no problem with the drain at the bottom of the pool which had a lot of leaves on it. It was very easy to use and simple to clean. The filter basket lifts out and you rinse with a hose. It climbs the walls easily. When you are ready to take it out of the pool, it will climb the wall and come straight to you. My only complaint is the cord. It’s supposed to be the kind that doesn’t tangle, but it still does. I’m pretty sure I will buy this one because of it’s ease of use and ability to clean well.

I rented a Polaris 9650 from my local pool supply store for $50 for 1 day. It was great! It had no problem with the drain at the bottom of the pool which had a lot of leaves on it. It was very easy to use and simple to clean. The filter basket lifts out and you rinse with a hose. It climbs the walls easily. When you are ready to take it out of the pool, it will climb the wall and come straight to you. My only complaint is the cord. It’s supposed to be the kind that doesn’t tangle, but it still does. I’m pretty sure I will buy this one because of it’s ease of use and ability to clean well.

The cord swivel helps but often doesn't solve it 100%, water temp. is a big factor and time of the year.

The cord swivel helps but often doesn't solve it 100%, water temp. is a big factor and time of the year.

Yes, I’ve noticed the Polaris power cord isn’t quite as pliable as the one used by Maytronics. Having a new 9650iQ, I cannot imagine not having the cord swivel in-line. It would be an absolute tangled mess. Am still curious whether I could trust the cord not to tangle if left in the pool while on vacation, running on a weekly schedule. Has anyone managed to do that successfully?

I have a ficus hedge all the way around my property and the M500 handles all those leaves pretty well. The only time I have ever had to stop it in the middle of a cycle to empty the filters is the cleanup after a hurricane. At that point basically the entire pool floor is made up of leaves. I run mine at least twice a week, since I freak out if I see 3 leaves at the bottom of my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, I’ve noticed the Polaris power cord isn’t quite as pliable as the one used by Maytronics. Having a new 9650iQ, I cannot imagine not having the cord swivel in-line. It would be an absolute tangled mess. Am still curious whether I could trust the cord not to tangle if left in the pool while on vacation, running on a weekly schedule. Has anyone managed to do that successfully?

Swivels really help, but on lower price point cleaners they tend to be omitted.

I have a 6 year old WaterTech Blue Diamond that I may be replacing this Spring. I had narrowed my replacement down to the Maytronics M500, but the price is fixed everywhere, and that drives me crazy. Anyone have input into a discount opportunity without impacting warranty?

Thanks!

Swivels are point of failure. Smartpool had best design for swivel. Worked flawlessly and it was replaceable if anything happened instead of being built into cord. M500 is very nice cleaner but I found the cartridges much harder to clean then the smartpool bag.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.