Dolphin Active 30i motor failure, again

Jun 6, 2016
San Jose
This is the 2nd time my dolphin stops working in two years of service. It shows exactly the same failure as what I experienced last year. At that time the service center noted it was a bad motor and replaced with a new one. Unfortunately, my warranty expired last month.

I open the unit and see the motor is pretty easy to replace. But I cannot find any off-the-shelf replacement.

Given Active 30i failed motor twice in 24month, I feel there's a design flaw on the motor part.

Call Dolphin. Since you’re so close to your warranty they may throw you a freebie. It’s been known to happen.

The same exact failure, that’s unusual. Any chance you had a power surge or something like that that might have contributed to the demise?

Have you checked the impeller at all? I have the Doheny's Mercury which is essentially the same thing and I was having the same issue with it turning on and running for a few minutes then shutting off. I opened it up and took a look at the impeller and I had a bunch of stuff stuck in it and wrapped around it that was preventing it from working properly and thus causing the unit to turn itself off.

Mine was two years old and my motor went out last fall. I had it fixed this spring and it cost me $670.00. It was still cheaper than a new one and as much as I was tempted to replace it since I hate the cord so much I repaired it. The motor was on backorder and I had to wait almost a month for the shop to get a new one.

This is the 2nd time my dolphin stops working in two years of service. It shows exactly the same failure as what I experienced last year. At that time the service center noted it was a bad motor and replaced with a new one. Unfortunately, my warranty expired last month.

I open the unit and see the motor is pretty easy to replace. But I cannot find any off-the-shelf replacement.

Given Active 30i failed motor twice in 24month, I feel there's a design flaw on the motor part.

If you used a credit card you may want to check if they extend the manufacturer warranty for an additional year.

For the part maybe call Marina or check out Sunplay?

My s300i has a 3 year warranty, which included a bonus year for registering it. Check with Maytronics.

Maytronics provided me a one-time-free service given the failure happened right after the warranty. They did a good job not only fixed my machine, but also replaced the old cord with a brand new latest cord with swivel. Thumbs Up for Maytronics!

The only thing I do not like is the robot stops working every year and I need to spend $100 every time to ship it back for repair...

Mine was two years old and my motor went out last fall. I had it fixed this spring and it cost me $670.00. It was still cheaper than a new one and as much as I was tempted to replace it since I hate the cord so much I repaired it. The motor was on backorder and I had to wait almost a month for the shop to get a new one.

Marina sells a new S200 for $699, hardly worth repairing for $670.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.