Doing pool by my self -Just got back from Leslie`s - here are results

Jeca8787

Apr 27, 2020
las vegas
For 3 years we paid our pool guy to do chemicals for our pool.
Last month his price went up and we decided to do our self.
We tested water at Leslies today and here are results (attached jpg).
Basically they said we need to ad 1/4 muriatic acid and "something else".
Ph is 8 and Alkalinity is 134. Pool is 20k gallons.
She mentioned doing Shock every week! What do we need for that?
If you see this results what else you would recommend to do?
And what else we need to buy to maintain our pool every week?
We are totally new in this so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Attachments

• 94889334_995444374184542_690515043367780352_n.jpg
    94889334_995444374184542_690515043367780352_n.jpg
    821.3 KB · Views: 41
Stop going to Leslie's and invest some time in the Pool school articles on TFP. Buy a good test kit and do it yourself because you can't trust someone working part time at the pool store to have proper knowledge.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. Plus, the results of their "testing" is used to convince you that you need to buy things. Why do you think that testing is free?

But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF-100 Test Kit ™

Please don't go back to the pool store for a test kit. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The TF-100 Test Kit ™ has this test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

The something else is chlorine. You have none. Until you get your kit, each day I want you to put half bottle of bleach (yes, the same stuff you use for laundry) in the pool with the filter running. As you have none right now, add a full bottle now. Be careful, it needs to be plain bleach, no scents, no EZ-Pour and none of the new Cloramax or laundry enhancing formulas.

Continue brushing and running the filter, cleaning the filter as necessary.

While you wait for your test kit to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with these:

So, welcome to TFP!!

• Love
Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Welcome to the forum!
You need a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF100. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.
We do not make recommendations based on pool store tests. So once you get your proper test kit, run the full set of tests and post them here.
While waiting on your test kit, I suggest you add about 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine/plain bleach. You can find that at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Maybe even Leslies.
You can use PoolMath to determine how much liquid chlorine that is. For instance, a half gallon of 10% liquid chlorine in your pool volume will add 2.5 ppm FC. That will work.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thank you guys. Where do I purchase TF100 kit? I don't see it on Amazon? Can I get it somewhere locally?
And so you want me to add half bottle of bleach every day? For how long?
Thank u . You are very helpful I didn't know that story about Leslie`s

LInk to TF100 kit should be in my signature.

Not just Leslie's, all pool store tests.

These folks here will help you nail things down and coach through any issues. Stick with them, you will be glad you did! But mixing pool store tests and suggestions along with TFP advice just doesn't work!

Peruse the forum and pool school as much as you have time for, it helps a lot!

Good luck! :)

And so you want me to add half bottle of bleach every day? For how long?
Maybe forever. Bleach is chlorine. You pool needs chlorine and it is a consumable product.

From your report above your CYA/stabilizer is already sky high. From that I can surmise that you r"pool guy" used 3" pucks in the pool for chlorine. Those pucks are half stabilizer.

Read thru the articles I linked above and it will start making sense.

Yes I did read. But im asking if its better just to change water and start from zero. My understanding is CYA can cause chlorine lock, which basically means chlorine has been rendered useless. And my CYA is already too high -110

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you get a proper test kit we can advise on your next steps. We do not use pool store testing to base our recommendations.

But yes, there is a good chance you will need to drain/refill 50-75% of your pool water.

Reactions: tim5055
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.