Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

I got my S200 3 years back. Since last year, I start to encounter below issues more frequently:
- move forward for 2-3 feets, then backward for 1 feet or so, then stop movement completely. I believe the impeller isn't working as no water flow can be seen.
- work for a few minutes or up to 1 hour then stop moving. I can see waterflow from impeller when it is moving.

Sometimes, I lift robot out of water, then dissemble and assemble the impeller, afterwards it may work for a few times, then stop working again.

I heard it should be a motor issue. Should I get a new motor or a new robot?

thanks in advance for any advice.

I got my S200 3 years back. Since last year, I start to encounter below issues more frequently:
- move forward for 2-3 feets, then backward for 1 feet or so, then stop movement completely. I believe the impeller isn't working as no water flow can be seen.
- work for a few minutes or up to 1 hour then stop moving. I can see waterflow from impeller when it is moving.

Sometimes, I lift robot out of water, then dissemble and assemble the impeller, afterwards it may work for a few times, then stop working again.

I have the exact issue. I disassembled my motor assembly and too bad u can't buy individual parts. I think mine might be the control board. Easy fix if I could find the part. The only thing I can find is the entire assembly which is half the cost of a new robot. Thinking I might buy a new one and keep this one for spare parts.

Hmmm... so I got the robot today. I had vacuumed manually earlier so my pool wasn't that dirty. I put the new baby in. Pressed the button.

I'm not convinced it did a good job.

So when it finished it's cycle I ran it again.

I went to check on it and it appeared to be stuck on my dome drain cover. (This cover actually covers a small hole in the concrete pool. I'm not sure if it used to be a drain long ago? The hole is very small and I was told leads out to the ground water below?) Anyway, it a low profile dome and it was indeed "stuck".

Oh boy... not sure if this is "the one" yet..... Let's see how the second cleaning pans out.

Hmmm... so I got the robot today. I had vacuumed manually earlier so my pool wasn't that dirty. I put the new baby in. Pressed the button.

I'm not convinced it did a good job.

So when it finished it's cycle I ran it again.

I went to check on it and it appeared to be stuck on my dome drain cover. (This cover actually covers a small hole in the concrete pool. I'm not sure if it used to be a drain long ago? The hole is very small and I was told leads out to the ground water below?) Anyway, it a low profile dome and it was indeed "stuck".

Oh boy... not sure if this is "the one" yet..... Let's see how the second cleaning pans out.
Mine gets stuck but usually will get off after a few minutes, kind of fun watching it so sideways wheelies to turn

Getting stuck on drain cover happened for me and I believe is a common problem, There is a device that fits over the cover and ramps it up to help prevent this but I find turning the pump off or at least having bottom drain helped me, without the pump on it usually frees itself within a few minutes. It is not unusual for it to take several cycles to get the pool really clean as there are some areas it does not cover on the first pass. That said I am not sure anything else does a better job. But I am always looking.

Reactions: markayash
Getting stuck on drain cover happened for me and I believe is a common problem, There is a device that fits over the cover and ramps it up to help prevent this but I find turning the pump off or at least having bottom drain helped me, without the pump on it usually frees itself within a few minutes. It is not unusual for it to take several cycles to get the pool really clean as there are some areas it does not cover on the first pass. That said I am not sure anything else does a better job. But I am always looking.
That's a good point, I don't pull through my main drain anymore. It also did take a few cycles to learn it's way around

My grip is lack of documentation. Seems the new theme is turn it on and don’t worry about it.
I do remember mine not cleaning as good at first. If it stops climbing the walls check the filters and basket. When heavy it seems to make it hard to climb

It learns your pool each time you turn it on. Kind of like Groundhog Day. It does not retain the knowledge from run to run.

Reactions: U2brothr
If my i30 is supposed to "learn" my pool it is a SLOW learner, I think this will be my 5th year and it always takes several cycles to clean because it does not cover the entire floor of the pool, and if you put it on a daily schedule every time you start it manually it turns the daily schedule off, so I just start it at night and in the AM manually. If Maytronics actually listened or used these things they really could have a much better machine with some minor software changes. The Bluetooth is very poor much worse than my cheap LED light, it takes forever to hook up with my phone and I need to be within 3' clear line of sight to get it to communicate consistently which means the manual operation of the robot to steer it to a spot it missed is useless for me. It really should have WIFI. But here I go ranting again (or is it wishful thinking).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I take it all back.

It cleans... and does a great job.

I've ordered the screen inner basket so I can do the two filter system.
Sometimes it's not love at first sight. But that doesn't mean it isn't right.

• Haha
Reactions: U2brothr
So excited to get a new pool. We are signing contracts soon with local PB and after reading forums on TFP, we will be asking them to take out the quoted traditional Vacuum by Hayward and we will purchase our own robot. We are leaning towards Doheny's Discovery powered by Dolphin ... so many people on the forums have gone to "Margaret at Marine" ... but it is the same price on Amazon ... is there a reason why I should go to Margaret vs. just purchasing on Amazon with Prime and adding the extra 2 or 3 year warranty?

It seems to me after reading here, that if a bot malfunctions and fails to pass the self test at startup it happens well within the first year. Wear items are not covered by warranty but appear easy to replace.

So excited to get a new pool. We are signing contracts soon with local PB and after reading forums on TFP, we will be asking them to take out the quoted traditional Vacuum by Hayward and we will purchase our own robot. We are leaning towards Doheny's Discovery powered by Dolphin ... so many people on the forums have gone to "Margaret at Marine" ... but it is the same price on Amazon ... is there a reason why I should go to Margaret vs. just purchasing on Amazon with Prime and adding the extra 2 or 3 year warranty?

Just make sure you buy from a authorized dealer
As long as the cleaner has a long enough cord ( some are 33" ) and cleans tile line like the s200 you should be good :)

Reactions: TikiParadise
So because of quarantining... I'm able to keep the most super clean pool I've ever had in the history of owning my house. We have pine trees, we have maple leaf trees, and we have two other kinds of trees that shed into our pool. It only stops mid summer. I have a pool with one jet.... and have noticed that the robot has a hard time navigating around when the pump is going and the jet is blowing (3/4HP pump).

So after a big wind storm last night, I scooped the the leaves that were floating. I turned off the pump...... and this robot went to work.

Impressively clean pool.

So now I make sure when I run the robot I just turn off the pump for a bit.... it helps!

I have the same issue with my Active 30i. Literally same scenario. I've found if I just move the diverter back and forth it will kick him to start working again, but only for a run or two, if I'm lucky. Replacement motor is $400 :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.