Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

It’s an older style Dolphin. Honestly, many folks have reported great life from older Dolphins. Though they may lack the easier basket or fancier navigation, blah, blah, blah. I suspect you will get good service and a good clean pool for a long time with it.

Thanks to you and Margaret at Marina I kept it and it is scrubbing away. It even touches the coping occasionally!

I went out yesterday and my Dolphin had the cord wrapped around the front scrubber......a LOT of the cord. I'm guessing it went up to scrub the water line, and the cord was next to that same area. I had to pull it out rather forcefully. Seems to still be okay, but wondering if any of you have had this happen?

I went out yesterday and my Dolphin had the cord wrapped around the front scrubber......a LOT of the cord. I'm guessing it went up to scrub the water line, and the cord was next to that same area. I had to pull it out rather forcefully. Seems to still be okay, but wondering if any of you have had this happen?
Yep, caught it for the first time last week. It was when it just started the cycle going up the wall. Since it was just started, so I was still there and had to yank the cable free.

Yes I have. I’d estimate about once a season Earl gets a hankering for ingesting his own cord. I don’t recall the extraction being too difficult. I always focus on not kinking the cable in the process.

Wasn’t sure about linking other websites, but the copied steps are below. Note on step 5, mine ran for several minutes, not the 30-45 seconds.

1) Unplug everything. Unplug the power supply from the outlet and the Dolphin from the power supply.

2) Let the whole thing sit a couple of minutes (we want to allow any capacitors to discharge).

3) Be sure the Dolphin is out of the water and sitting upside-down on a level surface (Tracks pointing skyward).

4) Reconnect the Dolphin to the power supply and the power supply to the outlet.

5) With the Dolphin still out of the water, perform a self-test. Simply turn on the Dolphin. Within about 15 seconds it should begin to move. The tracks will spin in both directions with and without the impeller motor running at the same time. It is not unusual for the tracks to rotate at different speeds during this test. The test will last for 30 - 45 seconds or so. If it goes on indefinitely, turn it off and contact us for further direction.

6) Assuming the unit has now worked to this point, you should be able to put it back in the water and it will return to normal operation from this point on.
I'll give this a try tonight. How do you start the self-test?

Hello all- quick question - does your robot do ALL your cleaning, or do you brush, etc.? We have to brush the sunshelf dirt into the pool before we start our robot, but other than that, I've been letting him carry the load, in the pool and in the spa.

Thanks!

Hello all- quick question - does your robot do ALL your cleaning, or do you brush, etc.? We have to brush the sunshelf dirt into the pool before we start our robot, but other than that, I've been letting him carry the load, in the pool and in the spa.

I just received mine this week and it seems I still have to brush the steps and sun shelf too. I don't believe the steps are wide enough for it to stay on and the sun shelf is too shallow. I've been doing the same as you, a quick brush on the steps and shelf to get debris into the main area for the Active 20 to pickup.

I have a question... we use a hairnet in the skimmer and love it. I never have to dump and rinse the skimmer - just change the hairnet. How does the water flow through the S200? Could I do something similar? We get dog hair stuck in the S200 filters and it's a pain to get it out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I personally would not put a hairnet in the robot. Did you get the fine screen filters with yours?
Yes, we got the fine filters. Would those be easier to clean off with dog hair? We have a screen enclosure, so we don't end up with big stuff getting vacuumed. ---- Just put in the fine filters and Gilligan is running - we'll see how it goes.
(Note to PoolDV who I stole our robot name from - I hope you think that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! It is the BEST name, and it has stuck. We can call him Gilligan Jr on the forum if you want :) )

Last edited:
The mod is to take out the four rough filters and replace them with a four-sided bottomless rough insert. That way you can use both the rough insert and the fine pleated filters at the same time for a great combo.

Sorry to refer back to this 5-month old comment, but I am on the cusp of buying an S200 (my first robot), and I want to make sure I understand what I’m doing, and why, before placing the order with Marina:

I want to keep the ultra-fine filter, and have Marina replace the spring filter with the rough filter so that ultra-fine and rough can be used simultaneously? Thx.

Reactions: bmoreswim
I was about to buy from Marina for $699, but then I saw this on Amazon.

Isn't this the same thing as the S200/Active 20? Or am I missing something?

I'm happy to go with the S200 @ $699 w/Marina if it's a superior cleaner. But if it's same-same, I'm hard-pressed not to save myself $100.

Last edited:
I was about to buy from Marina for $699, but then I saw this on Amazon.

Isn't this the same thing as the S200/Active 20? Or am I missing something?

I'm happy to go with the S200 @ $699 w/Marina if it's a superior cleaner. But if it's same-same, I'm hard-pressed not to save myself $100.

Squirk, there is someone selling an awesome robot here on the forum. Check it out Here

Reactions: squirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.