Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

I'm happy to have found this thread and the info
  • Pentair Prowler 920 = Dolphin Active 20 = Dolphin S200 = Dolphin Cayman = Dolphin Nautilus (2017 and Later) = Dolphin Proteus DX3 = Doheny's Saturn
I was not happy about having the 920, but this gives me hope. One more week until it gets tested out... or should I test is some way before I put it in.

??

Mine is an 820 ? I'm back to being disappointed.

Last edited:
It’s an older style Dolphin. Honestly, many folks have reported great life from older Dolphins. Though they may lack the easier basket or fancier navigation, blah, blah, blah. I suspect you will get good service and a good clean pool for a long time with it.

Reactions: Tena
So, right now I have a poorly performing suction cleaner that needs my vsp to run fairly high (2600rpm). If I switched to a robot, like the active20, would I really be able to drop my rpms to like 700 just for circulation? How do I know if I'm getting good enough skim?

Thanks!

So, right now I have a poorly performing suction cleaner that needs my vsp to run fairly high (2600rpm). If I switched to a robot, like the active20, would I really be able to drop my rpms to like 700 just for circulation? How do I know if I'm getting good enough skim?

Thanks!
A robot has its own pump and filter.
Your VS pump should not be run below about 1000 rpm. It gets really inefficient at that level. For skimming, start at 1200 rpm and see how it does. If not good enough, raise it by 100 rpm each time to see what works. Your electricity used at 1200 rpm vs 2600 rpm will be at least a drop of 75%.

Another Active 20 dud here. Ran <10 times and now it will run for 20 mins or so then just stop. Conveniently decided to die before and after our biggest swim load of the season. Will be contacting the dealer or Maytronics tomorrow morning.

This is from another member, give it a try.

Wasn’t sure about linking other websites, but the copied steps are below. Note on step 5, mine ran for several minutes, not the 30-45 seconds.

1) Unplug everything. Unplug the power supply from the outlet and the Dolphin from the power supply.

2) Let the whole thing sit a couple of minutes (we want to allow any capacitors to discharge).

3) Be sure the Dolphin is out of the water and sitting upside-down on a level surface (Tracks pointing skyward).

4) Reconnect the Dolphin to the power supply and the power supply to the outlet.

5) With the Dolphin still out of the water, perform a self-test. Simply turn on the Dolphin. Within about 15 seconds it should begin to move. The tracks will spin in both directions with and without the impeller motor running at the same time. It is not unusual for the tracks to rotate at different speeds during this test. The test will last for 30 - 45 seconds or so. If it goes on indefinitely, turn it off and contact us for further direction.

6) Assuming the unit has now worked to this point, you should be able to put it back in the water and it will return to normal operation from this point on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For clarity, mine only gave me issues once and that was when I tried to start a cycle immediately after it completed the first one. I contacted the manufacturer via email, but their reply was only a confirmation of receiving the complaint. To say the least, I’m not impressed with it and their lack of communication leads me to believe they are fully aware of the issue, but do not have a solution. If it happens again, I will make a better attempt to contacting them.

Is it normal for the Dolphin Active 20 to completely miss (undisturbed floor areas) during a cleaning cycle? My new cleaner has glaring spots it has missed on mutiple occasions; even the same corner in my deep end several different times.

Is it normal for the Dolphin Active 20 to completely miss (undisturbed floor areas) during a cleaning cycle? My new cleaner has glaring spots it has missed on mutiple occasions; even the same corner in my deep end several different times.
Check to make sure the cord is not restricting it from getting to all areas of the pool.

My pool is small compared to yours -- and the robot cleans it perfectly.

Check to make sure the cord is not restricting it from getting to all areas of the pool.

My pool is small compared to yours -- and the robot cleans it perfectly.

I will say that I've have provided plenty of cord unrestricted and the other locations it missed were in the center. Could I have not gotten the correct robot or something is wrong in its calculations? I purchased it on the advice of Marina when I described my pool and size to them.

The robot just does random paths. It does not do scans or anything.

Call marina and tell them your issues.

I'm happy to have found this thread and the info
  • Pentair Prowler 920 = Dolphin Active 20 = Dolphin S200 = Dolphin Cayman = Dolphin Nautilus (2017 and Later) = Dolphin Proteus DX3 = Doheny's Saturn
I was not happy about having the 920, but this gives me hope. One more week until it gets tested out... or should I test is some way before I put it in.

??

Mine is an 820 ? I'm back to being disappointed.
If that quote is from another website, I think some of their brand comparison data is erroneous.

Another Active 20 dud here. Ran <10 times and now it will run for 20 mins or so then just stop. Conveniently decided to die before and after our biggest swim load of the season. Will be contacting the dealer or Maytronics tomorrow morning.

Just an update: Didn't bother trying to troubleshoot. Called Marina and had a return authorization the same day. Boxed up the robot that night and dropped it off the next morning. Maytronics had one shipped the same day and all-in-all I was <4 days without the robot. Have only used the new once and everything ran fine. Only thing I will say is they seem to have an issue restarting after a cycle is completed. If I want to run it for another hour I found that I have to shut the controller down for a minute and then restart and select before the robot will begin its cycle. Perhaps that's how it's designed, perhaps it's not. But it's not enough of an annoyance for me to look into it.

Despite my issues, would absolutely still recommend one of these. When working properly they are effective well worth the cost IMO. Not having to wake up every weekend and spend a couple hours manually vacuuming the pool has been great. Drop it in twice a week, cleanup takes <5 minutes, and my pool is cleaner than it's ever been. Just make sure to keep the box it's shipped in. ;)

Reactions: MyAZPool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.