Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Sorry for the late response. Yes, it was directly through Doheny and it arrived on Friday. I've run maybe 5 cycles on my pool using the fine filter and I am amazed at how much silt/dirt it has picked up. There is a lot of water moving through this unit and it's quite impressive to watch it climb walls, scrub the walls, etc. So far, very happy!

EDIT: Forgot to add -- my favorite thing about this unit has to be the ease of cleaning the basket! SO much better than using a Kreepy Krauly / Polaris booster pump powered device.

Thanks to all in this thread for the great information...

Just got off the phone with Margaret @ Marina, and she was amazingly helpful...

Ordered the 2018 version of the A20 @ $699...

As posted earlier by another user, I requested the switch out the filters for me so I will get the rough pre-filter and snap in ultra fine like the S300i...

No difference in cost...

Ships out today, and should be here by the end of the week...

Thanks again...

I wish there was a wiki for this thread. I am just trying to learn the basics of these robot cleaners. Do you store them and only plop them in the pool as needed, or are they always in the pool similar to a Polaris?

I asked Margaret how she uses hers, and she said it's in and out every few days, as needed...

I plan on using it on thursdays & mondays (before and after weeknds), maybe running it a couple of cycles each time...

Mine will only be in the water when needed and when cleaning...

Not recommend that you leave them in, although lots of people do. Mine goes in, does his job, then comes out to be stored on his cart. If you don’t have a cart, it is recommended that you store them resting on their side, to prevent smashing the brushes.

Well I did it! Went out yesterday to a local pool store that sells robotic cleaners. I made a wrong turn and passed another pool store that I was not aware of so I stopped in for a peek. Guy says they just had a sale on the S200 that ended yesterday...bummer. Young man said boss was headed in and that he would ask if they could still honor the sale price. So I leave and head down the street to my original pool store destination. I have a nice conversation about robots but I was not willing to spend $899 for the S200. I head back to the first store and the nice young man says no problem on getting the sale price...YEA!!

So i ended up with the S200 for $799 plus 3 bags of pool salt, a bottle of filter cleaner and a 1 pound scoop for my DE powder. To top it off the young man calls as I am on my way home and says he forgot to give me a coupon for a $50 rebate from Maytronics...

Now my total price for everything was $749!

Well I did it! Went out yesterday to a local pool store that sells robotic cleaners. I made a wrong turn and passed another pool store that I was not aware of so I stopped in for a peek. Guy says they just had a sale on the S200 that ended yesterday...bummer. Young man said boss was headed in and that he would ask if they could still honor the sale price. So I leave and head down the street to my original pool store destination. I have a nice conversation about robots but I was not willing to spend $899 for the S200. I head back to the first store and the nice young man says no problem on getting the sale price...YEA!!

So i ended up with the S200 for $799 plus 3 bags of pool salt, a bottle of filter cleaner and a 1 pound scoop for my DE powder. To top it off the young man calls as I am on my way home and says he forgot to give me a coupon for a $50 rebate from Maytronics...

Now my total price for everything was $749!

Good job on a great buy. I think you’ll be very pleased with the robot. Be sure to fill out the online warranty registration right away. Always a good thing when you can buy local ... now you have a nearby shop to bring it to if any issues arise. Let us know what you wind up naming it...every robot gets a name.

Looks like the rebates are back up and makes the difference from an s300/a30 to s300i/a30i to only $50 (based on Marina pricing posted previously) since they are $100 different but the s300i now comes with a $125 rebate vs. a $75 rebate for the s300.

I've seen a lot of people request changing the filters when they order from Marina, whats the consensus on the best filter combination? I'm mainly dealing with fine dust and smaller leaves in my pool.

They're intended to be retrieved and stored once the cycle is completed but lots of people leave them in for days. They work best when the filters are clean, so leaving it in for days without a cleaning won't give you optimal performance if there's a bunch of junk in the basket. Pulling it out and cleaning only takes a few minutes and once you get in the habit, it's second nature.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the best filter setup is the drop-in rough filter AND the snap-in cartridge filters. That's the setup I have in my Active 20. The rough filter keeps the tiny leaflets and small (but not tiny) debris out of the pleats. So the pleats become quite easy to flush the fine sand-like debris out of. At first the little junk tended to stick in the pleats a little bit but now it doesn't get to the pleats.

It has to be professionally installed as it requires so specific tooling to get the seals right. You’d have to pay for it on your own dime as it’s not a warranty issue. So shipping + cord + labor....probably closer to $300 when all is said and done.

Luckily I contacted Dolphin service and without questions (looks many others are complaining) they asked me to send my Active 20 and then in less than a week it was back with the new cable/swivel. Happy customer here!! (ended up just paying $50 for shipping one way vs the $300 estimated above)

I think you just follow the directions here: Promotions - Maytronics
Don’t be disappointed if you don’t get a rebate on an out of state purchase. Maytronics said they would only honor rebates for “local purchase” at brick and mortar retailers.

Even without the rebates, Marina beat any local price I could find.

Deciding between the Active 30 / s300 or M400 for my 16x32 inground pool.

Any thoughts of best option?

And does anyone have the Marina pricing handy for M400? I didn't get a chance to call today!

For that size pool I’d lean towards the S series. Save some money and get a great cleaner.

Maytronics recently updated their website. In the past I’d only used the full version. This time I was using the mobile version. However, the information on various models and comparisons are more informative. Still a little vague on some aspects but better.

They have some really clear answers in the FAQ.

They also requested a review of the robot I bought a year ago which I wrote.

Short version:
A S200/Active 20 will probably be pretty good for many pools. Upgrade to S300 for bigger pools. Upgrade to "i" for more whistles. Marina Pool Spa & Patio is the place to call.

Long version:
Right now my pool is pretty basic and while I've gone complete overkill on everything else on my basic pool I'm starting to wonder when I'll stop with the overkill. Ha!

But seriously... my pool is generally a rectangle (27'x14') with a little cove where the stairs are. The only thing I have dropping in my pool is dust (lots here in AZ) and whatever the palm trees drop (seeds this time of year). I get the feeling the S300/A30 line is too much, but maybe even the S200/A20 too? I could care less about controlling it as the pool isn't that big or complicated.

I like the idea of the water line clean as the things the palms drop end up getting stuck to the tile edge at water line. So seems like the S200/Active 20 is what I'd be aiming at since the lower models don't seem have the waterline feature.

Did I miss anything in this monster thread?

Last edited:
Short version:
A S200/Active 20 will probably be pretty good for many pools. Upgrade to S300 for bigger pools. Upgrade to "i" for more whistles. Marina Pool Spa & Patio is the place to call.

Long version:
Right now my pool is pretty basic and while I've gone complete overkill on everything else on my basic pool I'm starting to wonder when I'll stop with the overkill. Ha!

But seriously... my pool is generally a rectangle (27'x14') with a little cove where the stairs are. The only thing I have dropping in my pool is dust (lots here in AZ) and whatever the palm trees drop (seeds this time of year). I get the feeling the S300/A30 line is too much, but maybe even the S200/A20 too? I could care less about controlling it as the pool isn't that big or complicated.

I like the idea of the water line clean as the things the palms drop end up getting stuck to the tile edge at water line. So seems like the S200/Active 20 is what I'd be aiming at since the lower models don't seem have the waterline feature.

Did I miss anything in this monster thread?

Sounds about right. You’re going to want to use the fine cartridge filter in the unit to capture the dust. Also, if you intend to take it in and out of the pool, I am a huge fan of the caddy and find it is indispensable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.