Dog loves my pool -- but drinks the water!

DogMom

Jun 17, 2017
California
Hey guys! I just bought a Bestway 12 foot x 30 inch pool from ToysRUs, and we love the size for $99. Now, as soon as the pool was filled, my Pit Bull jumped in it. He started drinking the water and biting the waves. It is scary since he accidentally bit someone's leg while playing in there. We hauled him out and, of course, the pool was full of dog hair, but it was easy to scoop it out with a net.

My husband put a tarp over the pool, and it's been two weeks since we've been in it (weather got cold!). Last week, I threw in some products that you might want to help me with: SeaKlear Natural Clarifier for Pools and SeaKlear 90-Day Algae Prevention & Remover. I also bought some really nice testing strips at Walmart. My pool does have a small pump, but I don't run it often at all.

Here's the issue. Today I took the tarp off and the water was a little cloudy, the vinyl was slimey, and I think I see a green cast on the walls. I already threw in the SeaKlear products last week and ran the filter for about 4 hours. Didn't seem to do much "prevention" of algae. I do not have a pool brush, I definitely will get one of those.

Since the dog goes in the pool, I don't want to use bleach. What do you dog owners do? I'd love to go in the pool this weekend!

Hey guys! I just bought a Bestway 12 foot x 30 inch pool from ToysRUs, and we love the size for $99. Now, as soon as the pool was filled, my Pit Bull jumped in it. He started drinking the water and biting the waves. It is scary since he accidentally bit someone's leg while playing in there. We hauled him out and, of course, the pool was full of dog hair, but it was easy to scoop it out with a net.

My husband put a tarp over the pool, and it's been two weeks since we've been in it (weather got cold!). Last week, I threw in some products that you might want to help me with: SeaKlear Natural Clarifier for Pools and SeaKlear 90-Day Algae Prevention & Remover. I also bought some really nice testing strips at Walmart. My pool does have a small pump, but I don't run it often at all.

Here's the issue. Today I took the tarp off and the water was a little cloudy, the vinyl was slimey, and I think I see a green cast on the walls. I already threw in the SeaKlear products last week and ran the filter for about 4 hours. Didn't seem to do much "prevention" of algae. I do not have a pool brush, I definitely will get one of those.

Since the dog goes in the pool, I don't want to use bleach. What do you dog owners do? I'd love to go in the pool this weekend!
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Congrats on your new pool, if properly cared for it will bring you years of enjoyment.

You are off to a pretty rocky start I see. Both those products are very frowned upon here as they are more trouble than they are worth, and totally unnecessary in a properly sanitized pool. The clarifier can gunk up your filter, and the algaecide you used is Copper Sulfate based and added copper to your pool. Once you add copper, the only way to remove it is to drain and refill. Excess copper will stain pool surfaces, and turn hair and fingernails green. Is your dog's coat white? If yes, it will be very susceptible to turning green from high levels of copper.

What are you using for a sanitizer? Nothing that you listed as added to the pool is a water sanitizer. While algae is just a nuisance, the bacteria and parasites that can breed in an unsanitary pool can be harmful indeed.

We use Sodium Hypochlorite, liquid chlorine, aka bleach. When used as a laundry product it is 8.25% Sodium Hypochlorite, pool chlorine (or liquid shock as some pool $tores call it) comes in 10% and 12.5% sodium Hypochlorite. It's all the same stuff, just different strengths. If you don't believe me, just read the ingredients on the bottles.

How do you plan to test the water? You absolutely need to maintain a residual amount of sanitizer in the water at all times to keep it safe for swimming, especially if you have dogs in the pool.

If there is visible algae in the pool that means that there is very little, to no sanitizer in the pool. If you plan to swim this weekend in an algae free pool I recommend you drain and refill the pool.

If you do not want to drain the pool, then you will need to clear the algae using a controlled and maintained level of chlorine, something we call a SLAM.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

To properly complete the SLAM will require a FAS/DPD chlorine test kit.

IMHO, with a pool of this size it would be easier and most likely cost effective to drain and start over.

If you only plan to use the pool in the summer months, then drain anyway, you can follow our 'Seasonal Pool" guide.

Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

If you plan to leave the pool up year round, it would be best for you to invest in a recommended test kit.

Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Have you read through our Pool School at all? Here are some primer articles for you.

Pool School - Getting Started

Let us know how you want to proceed with the pool & we will get you on the right path.

Thanks for posting, nice to have you with us.

[edit] I just realized that you are using test strips. We call them 'guess strips' here because of their lack of accuracy, and poor reliability. Once you decide on seasonal/permanent pool use we will get you set [/edit]

Our pool is primarily used by our dogs. It is maintained using the principles on this site using only liquid chlorine (bleach) and muriatic acid. Some chemicals are toxic to dogs, and whether they lap up water or not, dogs tend to ingest large quantities just swimming around with their mouths open. It's a lot safer to use as few chemicals as possible and know exactly what's in your water. The reply just above this one will put you on the right path,.

You can manage the hair somewhat by using a skimmer sock. I cut the feet off of old nylon stockings and put those in the skimmer basket.

Our pool is primarily used by our dogs. It is maintained using the principles on this site using only liquid chlorine (bleach) and muriatic acid. Some chemicals are toxic to dogs, and whether they lap up water or not, dogs tend to ingest large quantities just swimming around with their mouths open. It's a lot safer to use as few chemicals as possible and know exactly what's in your water. The reply just above this one will put you on the right path,.

You can manage the hair somewhat by using a skimmer sock. I cut the feet off of old nylon stockings and put those in the skimmer basket.

Thanks for that info. My dog loves the pool also. I am process of getting my pool up to these stands.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.