Dog in Pool

Excellent that we are aware of safety for our four legged family members. I only re-iterate the exit for them in case they accidentally fall in. Our back yard is complete walled in with 8'-25' fig vine covered walls. She has dog doors that she can access the back yard which is why I really wanted her to learn the exits. When she swims, a regular life vest made her roll onto her side like the Andrea Doria as her legs are so short! We use this Amazon.com : Protective Inflatable Collar for Dogs and Cats - Soft Pet Recovery Collar Does Not Block Vision E-Collar (Large) : Pet Supplies as it holds her head up out of the water.

Sure am glad I ran across this!
Was a couple minutes from adding 8 lbs of Borax to our pool, but see here it’s a “no-no” if you have a pooch that swims.
Have a 100# Golden that loves to get in, with and without us.
So I’m guessing washing soda is the way to go?
Anything else I should not be using?

@tschaefges: great picture! Our two black lab pups just discovered our pool. They are fine when no one is in the water, but if there are people in the pool, watch out! They tend to jump in wherever they feel like it. They are learning where the exit is, but tend to be more interested in where the people are. And the female tends to "swim over" the male. She's dunked him under several times. LOL.

I have to ask, what is a skimmer sock and where exactly does it go? I love having the pups jump in and cool off but the hair is just ICK!

@tschaefges: great picture! Our two black lab pups just discovered our pool. They are fine when no one is in the water, but if there are people in the pool, watch out! They tend to jump in wherever they feel like it. They are learning where the exit is, but tend to be more interested in where the people are. And the female tends to "swim over" the male. She's dunked him under several times. LOL.

I have to ask, what is a skimmer sock and where exactly does it go? I love having the pups jump in and cool off but the hair is just ICK!

Don't use an official skimmer sock. Buy these hairnets on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XK2FS0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They go over the top of the skimmer basket with the hairnet dropping down on one side of the bar going across the top of the basket. I also put a river rock about the size of two golf balls in to weigh it down. Each time I replace the hairnets (from daily during pollen season to weekly otherwise), I remove the basket, remove the rock, pull out the hairnet (shake water out of the glob and throw away), grab any dog fur that somehow escaped the hairnet and is in the basket, put in new hairnet, drop rock back in, replace basket.

They are a must have for pool owners with shedding dogs that swim.

Don't use an official skimmer sock. Buy these hairnets on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XK2FS0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They go over the top of the skimmer basket with the hairnet dropping down on one side of the bar going across the top of the basket. I also put a river rock about the size of two golf balls in to weigh it down. Each time I replace the hairnets (from daily during pollen season to weekly otherwise), I remove the basket, remove the rock, pull out the hairnet (shake water out of the glob and throw away), grab any dog fur that somehow escaped the hairnet and is in the basket, put in new hairnet, drop rock back in, replace basket.

A key point: the rock must be too big to go down the pipes at the bottom of the skimmer, just in case it gets dropped.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bmoreswim...I’m trying to visualize what you are describing with the hairnet “dropping down one side of the bar...” but not getting it. Do you have a pic of that? I have a traditional sock that I use and I removed that little bar.

Spread hairnet elastic over the top of the removed skimmer basket. Push down into the basket on one side of the bar. Done. Don’t over complicate it. :)

You can remove the bar but it not necessary.

So odd..I clicked on the link and at 1st had an option for hair nets or beard nets. The hair nets showed not available with no timeframe for availability. I accidentally closed the page so came back to the link and clicked again and now the option is for beard nets only. I wanted to see if the sizes were similar to ask if y'all thought the beard nets might work instead. Any advice or thoughts on this? I have 2 labrador grandpups that LOVE the water and 2 beagles that we will have to force in to make sure that they know the way out in case they fall or get pushed in by the Labs.:oops:

So odd..I clicked on the link and at 1st had an option for hair nets or beard nets. The hair nets showed not available with no timeframe for availability. I accidentally closed the page so came back to the link and clicked again and now the option is for beard nets only. I wanted to see if the sizes were similar to ask if y'all thought the beard nets might work instead. Any advice or thoughts on this? I have 2 labrador grandpups that LOVE the water and 2 beagles that we will have to force in to make sure that they know the way out in case they fall or get pushed in by the Labs.:oops:
Things go in and out of stock on Amazon.

These may work