Does this bond coat application look okay? HELP

Apr 15, 2007
Miami, Florida
Hi all - I am currently replastering my pool but have been hampered by persistent rain in S Florida. Finally yesterday we had a sold day of sun (until 5 pm!) and they were able to sandblast the pool. The crew made the call to apply the bond coat around 2:30 pm and finished around 4. About an hour after they left -RAIN!!! Light but long enough that after it stopped about an hour later the nice even grey coating of bond coat looks like the pictures attached.

My question in your expert and nonexpert ;) opinions are:
1) does the bond coat need to be reapplied?
2) if so - does it need to be reapplied to the entire pool so it is even throughout?
3) how long does the bond coat need to be totally dry in order to be "OK" to apply the pool finish?
4) how many days between bond coat and pebble finish application?

Thank you so much in advance

Attachments

• bond coat after rain 1.jpg
    bond coat after rain 1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 28
  • bond coat after rain 2.jpg
    bond coat after rain 2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 29
  • bond coat after rain 3.jpg
    bond coat after rain 3.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 27
  • bond coat after rain 4.jpg
    bond coat after rain 4.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 29
Gracy,

Since you haven't gotten any replies from experts yet and some of this is time sensitive I'll take a shot. I am not experienced with this work for pools but have done some research on it to get ready to do my pool build. Did they use SGM Bond Cote? If so, some of the questions are answered on the instructions printed on the bag:

1) does the bond coat need to be reapplied?
Sorry, but you really need an experienced expert on this. It looks to me that there's a gap between the top tiles and the bond cote in photo's 2 and 4. Also,, there appears to be a chunk of concrete missing or a big indentation in the bond cote bottom left of photo 4.

2) if so - does it need to be reapplied to the entire pool so it is even throughout?
Instructions don't really address this although several video's online exist and the ones by experienced crews all seem to have the bond cote performed over the entire surface. It would seem to me that if it's needed it's needed on the entire plastered surface.

3) how long does the bond coat need to be totally dry in order to be "OK" to apply the pool finish?
The material should be applied between 50 and 100 degrees and not during rain or high humidity. It should remain in the temp range for 24 hours after. Instructions are silent about rain after application.

4) how many days between bond coat and pebble finish application?
Instructions indicate it should be plastered within 14 days and a light water mist applied before plaster.

Sorry I can't help more. If it were me and I had no better expert advice I'd talk to the owner and ask your questions directly before any more work is done. Try to be assertive not aggressive. My non-pool concrete experience is that it's way better to solve problems while the work is being performed than repair after. I'd also make a call to Bond Cote to see if they can provide technical support/advice for their product. If you feel the actions of the service owner don't make sense or are not consistent with advice from the manufacturer put everything in writing now. I'm very hopful the owner will see that you have a valid concern and work with you to resolve it or explain their actions in a way that makes sense. Most good services will.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.