Does "pooling" MA make it more efficient at lowering TA?

Hi all,
I recently started maintaining my pool.
I’m trying to lower TA because pH is also high and stubborn to lower. TA is currently at 220 (was 240 when I started a week ago).
It seems like it takes a lot of MA to lower TA in my pool. I have put in almost 2 gallons over one week (pH is currently 7.8, was well over 8+ when I started). When I add MA, I’ve been slowly pouring it in front of return jet. Today I read at several places (not on troublefreepool.com) that when using MA to lower alkalinity it is more efficient if you turn off the pump and pour it in the deep end to let it “pool” for about an hour before circulating it. Supposedly leaving it concentrated helps lower alkalinity more than pH? I don’t like the idea of doing that but does anyone know if there is any truth to using that approach?
Thanks,
Casey

Thanks for all the feedback and source info. I thought it seemed kind of wacky and risky, but it is surprising (maybe not so much) there are several sources on the internet with URL names that sound reputable suggesting this method (pooling, column...whatever).

Jim, I am following the process you linked, but I have not been home enough over the last week to test and add MA as often as you have done over a couple days. My pool's pH is also not dropping as much as the pool math calculator suggests it should by the volume of MA added. I haven't gotten close to 7.2-7.4 yet and I suspect the high TA (started at 240) may be throwing off the calculation (or I'm just not adding it fast enough as I am doing it in batches).

Why are you doing it in batches?? Just have PoolMath tell you how much to add to get to 7.2 and add that. Keep the pumps running and retest in an hour. Should be spot on if you have your volumes correct?

Do you run a lot of water features that are raising your pH continuously?

Yip :flower:

Thanks for all the feedback and source info. I thought it seemed kind of wacky and risky, but it is surprising (maybe not so much) there are several sources on the internet with URL names that sound reputable suggesting this method (pooling, column...whatever).

Jim, I am following the process you linked, but I have not been home enough over the last week to test and add MA as often as you have done over a couple days. My pool's pH is also not dropping as much as the pool math calculator suggests it should by the volume of MA added. I haven't gotten close to 7.2-7.4 yet and I suspect the high TA (started at 240) may be throwing off the calculation (or I'm just not adding it fast enough as I am doing it in batches).
Check the strength on that acid. I know that Lowe's sells two different strengths in the paint section. The "safe" stuff is half-strength, yet full price.

That was it! With exception of a small amount of leftovers from an old HASA bottle, I've been using Home Depot MA which is 14.5% I had 31.45% in the calculator. Thanks Richard!

Yup! Lots of us have gotten "burned" on that at least once. Home Depot does sell both concentrations (mine has one pallet on one side of the door, the other pallet on the other side) - double check and ask an employee if you can't find the higher strength. I stopped a lady from making the same mistake last time I was there - she was very grateful.

I see 31.45% MA on the Home Depot website and it's only a couple bucks more then the less than half strength stuff I've been buying (for 2 gallons), but they don't don't sell it within a 100 miles. ...probably a California thing. I can get 31.45% locally. It's just a special trip to the pool store.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see 31.45% MA on the Home Depot website and it's only a couple bucks more then the less than half strength stuff I've been buying (for 2 gallons), but they don't don't sell it within a 100 miles. ...probably a California thing. I can get 31.45% locally. It's just a special trip to the pool store.
Plug your zip code in here and find the nearest dealer. You can get full-strength acid and 12.5% bleach in returnable jugs. You've probably seen the orange and yellow crates in the back on pool service trucks. That's it. http://www.hasapool.com/dealer_locator_hasa.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.