Does Polaris pump need to be on for freeze protection?

mc2021

Gold Supporter
Jun 9, 2020
Chicago
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hi,

My system was setup to turn on the Polaris pump during freeze protection mode. Since water is always running through it anyway, I would think I don't need to burn all that electricity. Would you agree?

You should be ok although if you get a really hard freeze the water around the Polaris pump may be the first to freeze since it will have the lowest flow. If you get a really cold spell you may want to get that pump running.

Hi,

My system was setup to turn on the Polaris pump during freeze protection mode. Since water is always running through it anyway, I would think I don't need to burn all that electricity. Would you agree?

While we don't get many of the hard freeze conditions you do here in Sacramento, it isn't unusual to get several nights with temps in the high 20s-to-low 30s. My system runs at night( always has) with the booster coming on around 7:00A. It never actually runs during the coldest part of the night and it has never frozen with just the water funning through it (35 years, though not the same pump all that time, they do wear out and used to be less expensive to replace than repair. Fifteen years on this one, though, so far).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.