Does it harm pool if keep total alkalinity very low?

Repe

Aug 12, 2019
Thailand
I have tried keep TA before 50-80 range, but PH keep going up every 2-3 day from 7.4 to about 8.
Now I haven't add any baking soda for 3 weeks and TA at 10, pool PH is very stable in week it will raise from 7.4 to 7.6.

Been reading low TA causes etching, staining, corrosion etc.. Is that case if my pool PH is fine?

What test kit are you using?

I doubt your TA is 10 if your pH continues to rise.

I use Hanna Alkalinity Checker HC - HI755 should be pretty accurate. Been checking leves when adding baking soda numbers corresponding quite good with pool math calculation. For PH I use Hanna digital PH meter which is calibrated on PH 7 range.

Hi,
Anybody have answer to my question of low TA ok for pool?
I know, that every one here uses the TF-100 or Taylor. Those kits not available in Thailand where I live..

Today did tests again and PH been pretty good in 6day been raised from 7.3 to 7.6 . last week also added 1kg baking soda and TA been dropped back to 10 in week.

If your pH is steady and in the range you say, your TA is not that low.
If possible, let the pH remain higher, 7.8 or so, to help protect your pool surface.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.