Does CYA capture FC when first added?

KingpenM3

Jul 2, 2020
Louisiana
I hope that makes sense. But as I understand it, CYA is not chlorinated when you add it to the pool, so it would make sense to me that until the CYA is saturated with 3 Cl's each, then the CYA would be eating away at the FC in the pool.

My FC has been way under what I have expected since I bumped my CYA up from 10 to 70 (SWG suggested) over the last week. I'm wondering if I'm seeing affects of the CYA getting stabilized. Make sense?

Good deal. Thanks!

Looks like my IC40 isn't keeping up. Going to move it to 12 hours x 100%. Pour some more bleach in to get about the OCLT minimum, do a OCLT, and go from there. Is there any section were people post what their chemical/run time settings are. I think the hardest part for new pool owners is understanding what is "normal" for equipment setup and chemical quantities.

Good deal. Thanks!

Looks like my IC40 isn't keeping up. Going to move it to 12 hours x 100%. Pour some more bleach in to get about the OCLT minimum, do a OCLT, and go from there. Is there any section were people post what their chemical/run time settings are. I think the hardest part for new pool owners is understanding what is "normal" for equipment setup and chemical quantities.

Every pool likes in its own environment. Average FC consumption is 2-4 ppm/day.

An IC40 running at 100% for 12 hours will generate 5.2 ppm of chlorine in your 16K pool. PoolMath Effects of Adding does the calculation.

What was your SWG % and runtime before?

Set the SWCG to generate 4 ppm FC per day. 80% at 12 hours per day will generate that level of FC. Test every day, see if FC goes up or down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.