Does anyone on here like chlorine?

BreBoyz

Apr 19, 2020
Houston
I am kicking around the idea of building a pool and getting closer to pulling the trigger, like many others have said my PB, who is also a friend, is recommending chlorine over salt. Just wonder, is chlorine as bad as they say?

Also I do have another friend that has a 3 year old salt pool, he loves the maintenance on it but said he has had to regrout his glass tile already and noticed some staining on the tile as well. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Previous pool was liquid chlorine and was fine. New pool is SWCG and is great. I no longer have to haul around 3 gallons of bleach every time I go to the grocery store.

Bre,

Saltwater has nothing to do with grout problems or staining.. Just because your friend does not understand his pool's chemistry is no reason for him to blame the saltwater..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Not blaming the salt just stating the only examples I know personally. I am in know way an expert on this and have been trying to read more on this forum. Just curious if chlorine is as bad as everyone makes it sound. And interested to understand why PB are so against it.

Chlorine is not bad. It is one of the sanitizers approved for pools, and by far the easiest to manage.
It depends on how you plan to add chlorine to your pool. SWCG's are one method. Another is to EVERY DAY, add liquid chlorine/bleach to your pool. The other is solid forms of chlorine, that carry with them CYA or calcium. Both of those build up in your pool water and create problems.

Chlorine is not bad. It is one of the sanitizers approved for pools, and by far the easiest to manage.
It depends on how you plan to add chlorine to your pool. SWCG's are one method. Another is to EVERY DAY, add liquid chlorine/bleach to your pool. The other is solid forms of chlorine, that carry with them CYA or calcium. Both of those build up in your pool water and create problems.

But SWCG is a salt water pool correct? And I assume that is what everyone has when they say they have a salt water pool? I understand from reading on this site that SWCG creates chlorine, and therefor the outcome is very similar.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Correct. When you install a SaltWater Chlorine Generator, you have a salinity in the pool of about 3500 ppm. The ocean is 35000 ppm. So 1/10th the salinity of the ocean. The SWCG will create the chlorine you need to keep the pool clean and sanitary.

If you add chlorine using liquid chlorine or trichlor (pucks or tablets) you add salt to the pool water too. After a period of time all pools have a salinity of well over 1000 ppm.

So does anyone know why PB, at least some, are so against them? When I google it there is obviously pros and cons listed. But typically don’t trust most of that. Either way thanks for the information. I’m going to keep reading and see if I can figure out what’s best for my build.

Texas pool builders are the primary ones against SWCG. Some of that is that they tend to use cheap flagstone around pools and when it flakes they blame the SWCG. Cheap flagstone flakes regardless if you have salt water or not. The other issue is many pool owners think a SWCG means maintenance free. That is not true. You still need to test your pool water chemistry with your own proper test kit and manage the chemistry as necessary. Lastly, many pool builders have no clue about water chemistry. That is the most prevalent issue.

Texas pool builders are the primary ones against SWCG. Some of that is that they tend to use cheap flagstone around pools and when it flakes they blame the SWCG. Cheap flagstone flakes regardless if you have salt water or not. The other issue is many pool owners think a SWCG means maintenance free. That is not true. You still need to test your pool water chemistry with your own proper test kit and manage the chemistry as necessary. Lastly, many pool builders have no clue about water chemistry. That is the most prevalent issue.

Thanks for the insight.

Another possibility is that to the PB, if he installs a SWG in your pool and it electrically produces all the chlorine you ever need that PB may lose frequent sales of chlorine in his store. Many PBs also have sideline stores to sell stuff. He won't see you very often.

Maddie :flower:

Bre,

It is really only part of Texas.. Mainly in and around the Houston area.

I live in the DFW area and most pool builders up here have no problem installing saltwater pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Bre,
If you spend much time reading the SWG threads here you will notice a definite bias against SWGs by pool builders in the Houston area. It's really weird. I retrofitted my pool over 15 years ago with an SWG and I have never had to regrout my tile, Never had my rocks decompose, never had my metal in the pool fall apart. So there you have another data point to add to your list of pros and Cons... BTW. it makes the maintenance easier, since the chems are more stable. In the bigger picture the cost is a wash more or less compared to using liquid chlorine. But what it will save you is a huge amount of time.

Bre,
If you spend much time reading the SWG threads here you will notice a definite bias against SWGs by pool builders in the Houston area. It's really weird. I retrofitted my pool over 15 years ago with an SWG and I have never had to regrout my tile, Never had my rocks decompose, never had my metal in the pool fall apart. So there you have another data point to add to your list of pros and Cons... BTW. it makes the maintenance easier, since the chems are more stable. In the bigger picture the cost is a wash more or less compared to using liquid chlorine. But what it will save you is a huge amount of time.

Appreciate it, I’m definitely going to consider it when I get the final quote. Will share that in the design in a few days I hope

As another anecdote, my pool has been exclusively pucks/powder in the beginning and liquid chlorine since I found this forum. My spa tiles need regrouting/ regluing for the second time in 10 years. Every pool is different, but almost all pools use chlorine in one form or another to safely sanitize the water.

As another anecdote, my pool has been exclusively pucks/powder in the beginning and liquid chlorine since I found this forum. My spa tiles need regrouting/ regluing for the second time in 10 years. Every pool is different, but almost all pools use chlorine in one form or another to safely sanitize the water.

So basically you had the tile issue with both?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.