Does anyone know of a wifi-enabled filter pressure gauge?

Gernot

Jun 11, 2020
Austin, TX 78736
Hello everyone,

At the moment, my pump and filter are still inoperative and I just filter my pool with my pool vacuum robot once a day...
But as I gear up to install my new pump and get my old filter to work again, I need to replace its broken pressure gauge.
I plan to run my pump on low 24/7, and foresee myself forgetting to check the filter pressure unless my pool turns green.
Does anyone know of a wifi-enabled pressure gauge that can send my phone an alert when my pressure goes up?
Or else anything that offers some sort of visual or audible alarm?

Thanks a bunch!

Gernot

Reactions: our_hummel_abode
There's all kinds of wireless pressure sensors out there. Pick the one that suits your needs and let us know how it works out.

Running on low speed you're going to have to get a pretty low range unit in order to see enough of an increase to be useful.

No, I really haven't. Unless you get a plug in your system it will only creep up over time. So, for me, that would be unneeded complexity. Now, if the poster REALLY wanted to do something like this, I would think the flow switch from a SWCG could work. (They are about $30 by themselves). Connect it to something like an ESP8266, write a little Arduino code, and then you'd have it. But if you want to see PSI then you'd need to have an actual pressure sensor hooked to the ESP8266.

You could use the pressure switch to set off an alarm or buzzer too that you could hear from the house. Power from the same source as the pump. If it's on and there is no flow, set the alarm off.. no software.... There are a couple of ways to skin this cat.... You probably will need something like a relay to do this though as the flow switch is likely normally open with no flow.

Reactions: markayash
OK Fred, has a new challenge for you..These guys took lava lamps and turned into a unique security key..

You can use a camera and point it your gauge and do the same..Then text the number to a program that gives you the PSI :)
I know this might take a full day to design.

Or just walk outside and look at the gauge

Reactions: Dirk
I set up a cam to watch my pool while I'm away, It's PTZ so I can look around the yard. I can check on gate locks and pool water level or watch for algae, etc. But in order to see most of the yard I had to put it in a spot that can't quite see my pad. So I fooled around with a mirror, mounted such to maybe get the right angle on the pad, but the resolution isn't enough to read any gauges. Point being, a PTZ "pad cam" could solve for "gauge watch" with the added benefit of keeping your eye on other things, too. Pump basket, leaks, whatever.

Alternately, you could replumb and route your pipes through your bedroom wall, in and out, and put a flow meter next to your bed!! ;)

Reality is... proper pool care means checking your pool and pad once a day. I have a routine. Just takes the time to walk out there. But I check my pool, water level, skimmer basket, pump basket, flow meter, filter gauge, acid supply, pump operation and for any leaks. You shouldn't really skip regular, daily inspections, so you don't really need the gizmo you're thinking of. It'll only give you a false sense of security and perhaps make you complacent about monitoring your pool, which could lead to significant expense.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm researching this sort of automation too. Here is the closest I have found so far (although it's Bluetooth not WiFi):

One thing I don't like is that this wireless gauge doesn't appear to have a display. I'm wondering if there are tee adapters that would let this work alongside a display gauge? Or if there exist wireless pressure gauges with a pass-through?

Maybe somebody knows of similar or better options? Let us know what you find out or decide to do!

< Lionel

Last edited:
Reactions: markayash
I actually thought about this before and actually submitted a thread with no luck. I’m thinking of adding another Ring camera to watch my equipment pad. I’m pretty sure I could see the value of the pressure gauge as well.
Look at Wyze, they just released a outdoor camera..I have several or the indoors ones and one indoor I have outside under the eve :) For the price they are great

One thing I don't like is that this wireless gauge doesn't appear to have a display. I'm wondering if there are tee adapters that would let this work alongside a display gauge?

Too steep for me..... Ever read the book The Millionaire Next Door?? They don't get that way by buying stuff like this.

I'll walk over to the filter and look, thankyouverymuch!

Maddie
Yes I try to tell my kids about that book to counteract Hollywood. Average car was a Ford Taurus. Asked them what they wanted to drink and most said “ have a Budweiser “

Reactions: drsipe
It's not a wifi pressure gauge, but if you're looking for reminders the PoolMath app offers configurable day based reminders for filter cleaning. You specify number of days like 14 or 30 or whatever and it'll pop up a message at the top of your home screen saying it's due, or overdue. Like my backwashing reminder (set at 7 days, need to adjust that).
Screenshot_20200813-201541.png

They have reminder options for backwashing, brushing, vacuuming, and filter cleaning. Each can have a separate number of days. When you enter a log performing maintenance on that task the reminder is reset for however many days you set it up to be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.