Does anyone have a non/low chlorine based pool sanatiser i.e. Ioniser, ozone etc.

Avo1

Sep 10, 2017
Brisbane Australia
I know most people here dislike them... but,

Before you post a reply - can this thread please be about people who have this kind of system and not about the negativities - unless you own or have owned one.

For the owners - please give me your thoughts.

Avo1

You have already been given plenty of good scientifically valid information on why such systems are not worth using and how such systems are only sold by scaring people with lies or partial truths. If you are just looking for people to parrot the advertising then you are in the wrong place, anybody that would do so will be corrected quite quickly.

But fear not! I indeed had a Frog mineral system on my pool when I purchased my home so my opinion is valid (apparently?). It was expensive, I got algae, and the water quality was so-so. After I discovered TFP I permanently fixed my algae problem and ripped that system out fairly quickly. Over the past 7 years my water has been clearer than ever, more comfortable than ever, and costs a fraction of what the Frog did. Of course, it was easier for me to admit it was junk since I didn't buy the thing. I didn't have to fight my ego and a sunk cost fallacy that push others to defend such systems in the face of all the evidence. I was lucky enough to find TFP without that baggage and my pool and wallet has thanked me, as well as those who have entrusted me with their pools in the past few years.

Maybe this is not the website for me

Avo,

Actually I think the opposite is true... I'm sure you can find all kinds of websites that will tell you how great their non-chlorine systems are... but they are all trying to get you to buy their products..

No one here at TFP is going to lie to you. We have no reason to lie. None of us gets paid to do what we do. (Of course there is the theory that we all secretly work for Walmart and are just trying to push more bleach out the door) .. :p

I guarantee you if we found one of those systems that worked, we would be pushing it like crazy. Our goal is to make everyone's pool Trouble Free, anything that can do that would be welcomed with open arms.

Hope you decide to stay, but if not, good luck with your research.

Jim R.

My story is the same as Donaldson's.

My pool came with the Frog. After I figured out what it was I bought a new mineral pac and loaded a bak pac and thought all I needed to do was adjust the little dial. It never worked well. Pool store said my leveld were good but my pool water never looked crystal clear. I entered into a pattern of having the store test my water, buying what they told me to buy, and following their directions. All the while thinking this is what it took to keep a pool in shape for the summer. But after switching to the TFPC method, everything changed. Managing the pool became much easier. I knew what i was putting into the water and why. I learned the downsides and side effects of all those magic potions I had been buying for years and all that money I wasted. Since opening the pool this year I have put nothing into my water except bleach and since CYA. The water has been crystal clear without a trace of algae. I even installed a stenner pump to make it more automated.

Read the Pool School. Read Chem Geek's old threads which explain all the complicated chemistry details on the magic potions and chlorine free (and reducing) technology. If something like that worked, we would have them. Instead we literally cut them out of our plumbing and throw them in the trash.

The short story is that all of these devices have the caveat that they need chlorine to cover their shortfalls. So as long as it needs chlorine, you might as well just use chlorine and save your money. It has no shortfalls when it comes to sanitation and there is a handy CYA to FC chart to ensure that your pool is always safe. All those mineral systems and ionizers are detrimental to your pool. UV can only treat the water when it passes through it. Chlorine solves the sanitatio problem and it the least expensive.

My story is the same as Donaldson's.

My pool came with the Frog. After I figured out what it was I bought a new mineral pac and loaded a bak pac and thought all I needed to do was adjust the little dial. It never worked well. Pool store said my levels were good but my pool water never looked crystal clear. I entered into a pattern of having the store test my water, buying what they told me to buy, and following their directions. All the while thinking this is what it took to keep a pool in shape for the summer. But after switching to the TFPC method, everything changed. Managing the pool became much easier. I knew what i was putting into the water and why. I learned the downsides and side effects of all those magic potions I had been buying for years and all that money I wasted.....

The short story is that all of these devices have the caveat that they need chlorine to cover their shortfalls. So as long as it needs chlorine, you might as well just use chlorine and save your money. It has no shortfalls when it comes to sanitation and there is a handy CYA to FC chart to ensure that your pool is always safe. All those mineral systems and ionizers are detrimental to your pool. UV can only treat the water when it passes through it. Chlorine solves the sanitation problem and is the least expensive.

Ditto to this! It turns out there was value in my Frog - I took it out years ago and capped those pipes. They came in real handy when I installed my SWG!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.