Does a gallon of 12.5% Chlorine a day (23K gallon) seem to much?

Jul 6, 2017
MA
My CYA is around 30-50 (the black dot test is so subjective), and I also cross check with a test strip.
So it's not to high for sure, but I'm a little concerned it's too low and I'm using more chlorine than I need to.

I'm trying to keep the FC around 5. But it's taking about a gallon a day to do so. And of course it spikes above 5 when I first put it in, then it's below 5 by the time I put the next gallon.

I'm hoping automatic chlorine dispensing will help reduce usage a little.

23K gallon pool. It does not get a ton of usage. It does get a fair number of pine needles, leaves, pollen, bugs and stuff in it.
I usually have a clear solar cover on it 90% of the time and it's currently 88 degree water.
And it gets quite a bit of sun. Starts around 10AM-ish when it clears the house, until maybe 30min before sunset.

Based on chlorine usage, does that sound normal usage or does it sound like maybe CYA could be to low?

P.S. You kidding me, that word is a curse word? (Y-E-P it is... ) edit by Jim R. :p

m,

It does seem a little high to me.. A full gallon of 12.5% Liquid Chlorine should raise your FC by 5.4 ppm.

Most pools use 2 to 4 ppm per day, but based upon your location I would have assumed you would be at the lower end.

I suggest that you run a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) This is how... Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Basically, if you lose FC during the night, it can't be the sun, so it has to be something in your water eating the chlorine.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

m,

It does seem a little high to me.. A full gallon of 12.5% Liquid Chlorine should raise your FC by 5.4 ppm.

Most pools use 2 to 4 ppm per day, but based upon your location I would have assumed you would be at the lower end.

I suggest that you run a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) This is how... Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Basically, if you lose FC during the night, it can't be the sun, so it has to be something in your water eating the chlorine.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I'll try that test. I believe it's been holding fairly well over night, but I'm sure it dropped some. It feels like sun is eating it fast.

I have a similar sized pool, similar sun exposure and have kept my CYA between 30-50 over the past several seasons and my chlorine usage is more like half of what you are reporting.

Do the OCLT as Jim suggests and let us know.

What are you dosing up to and then what are you falling back to at the end of the day? What I mean is are you starting at 4 FC, adding your gallon to get you to 9 and then falling back to 4? Or is it more like you are finding yourself at 0 at the end of the day and then adding the gallon to get you back to 5ish?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.