Do you think your quartz finish will last 20 years or better going with Stonescapes mini pebble? Has your Quartz lasted 20 years?

ckinchen

Mar 1, 2019
Orlando, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi! I would like to hear from those that have Quartz and those that have mini pebble. Its about 2k more for mini pebble and as many are aware it all adds up in a pool build. The only reason I am contemplating getting mini pebble is because it is a lifetime warranty with this builder. Does anyone know if lifetime means they have all sorts of exclusions that make it impossible to last a lifetime? I have read it depends on how you care for your pool so I assume I will make sure it is at proper PH etc. I don't see us selling for at least 10 years which means I would like to not have to spend 10K refinishing our pool in 10 years and 2K now seems wise. I just don't know if it is true? Do you have Stonescapes mini pebble and feel it will last a lifetime or at least 20 years? have you looked at their warranty? How many years have you had it?
Do you have Quartz and think it will last 20 years? Anyone with quartz pool for 20 years? Anyone challenge the lifetime warranty and have good or bad experience? Any pros and cons are appreciated.
Thanks!!

Here is a good thread to read. I have no personal history to share, but we felt that the quartz was a good investment on our new pool.

Reactions: ckinchen
Here is a good thread to read. I have no personal history to share, but we felt that the quartz was a good investment on our new pool.

Thank you! Great stuff! I didn't see that when I was searching. I guess I would need to know how to figure out if the plaster people do a great job. How would I know until after the pool starts to have issues. If anyone knows how to figure out let me know too! I assume all will say they do a great job.

We are going with Wet Edge quartz on our new build, and one thing that I liked about them is that the installed has to be certified through them. Not 100% sure that means we will get the best job, but it is a start. There are tons of people here who will give advice on things to look for, I look forward to following along and hopefully learning myself.

Also I should mention that we are building the pool is in Central Florida without a screen/Cage..not sure if that makes any difference.

I have PebbleTech. For the warranty they require frequent water sample testing by a commercial pool store.
Oh interesting. So like a car you warranty you have to have documentation you are having the water tested by a commercial pool store often? We live 5 minutes away from 2 pool stores, so that should be easy. I will ask pool builder about that too. How often do you have to have it checked?

I was reading up on this, too. Quartz finishes last longer. . . But after reading the following post.. . Admittedly it was posted years ago. . . But still, I wonder about some of these past members and what their pools are like now.
Another idea is looking at the quartz finishes in the finish selection thread. (below)

Here is a build thread with reflections finish -- From 2016. I'm sure you can message him and see how his pool is holding up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll give you an answer that is not actually answering your question! If you think you might be staying for longer than 10 years, or that possibility exists, then you're on the right track. If you're pretty sure that you're not staying any longer than 10, and are really asking about the economics, here's another take. With proper care (like you'll learn here), even the cheapest plaster finish can last 10 years. If your neighborhood is like most in the US, the condition of the finish in your pool, or what type it is, unless it is completely and obviously destroyed, will have little to no impact on what you can ask for your house. The fact that the house comes with a pool will have little to no impact. Pools add very little value to a home come sell time, if any. And can even work against you (not everybody wants to own a pool). What kind of finish is in the pool, or how many years it may have left, will not likely make the least bit of difference. So that $2000 you think you're "investing" in the future value of your home will not pay off. And re-plastering just before you sell will definitely not pay off.

Your neck of the woods is likely different than mine when it comes to home values, and what adds to or detracts from that value. So you might have a conversation with a realtor or two to confirm this notion before you decide on how much to spend on the finish of your pool.

Now if you will enjoy your pool more, yourselves, because you have an upgraded finish for the time you'll own it, then spend away. That's a separate issue.

To add in on Dirks thoughts, I’ll give you another thing to ponder. While any build is usually stretched to the absolute max budget, or already way over, if you will be there for 10 years, the nicer pool will cost you $200 a year and get even cheaper if you stay longer. Would you buy an even nicer pool for $200 a year ? It’s easier to look at it that way. (Providing you like the extra finish, some folks don’t).

To add in on Dirks thoughts, I’ll give you another thing to ponder. While any build is usually stretched to the absolute max budget, or already way over, if you will be there for 10 years, the nicer pool will cost you $200 a year and get even cheaper if you stay longer. Would you buy an even nicer pool for $200 a year ? It’s easier to look at it that way. (Providing you like the extra finish, some folks don’t).
You sound like a car salesman! "Now for just $15 more per month, you can get the undercoating."
"What's that?"
"Oh, you want that to protect your car from all the salt they put on the road."
"Salt?"
"Yah, for the snow."
"But, we live in Florida."
"Well, yah, but you might want to drive to New York."
"Oh, right. Just $15? Hmmm. OK."
;)
I'm only half joking. I get sucked in all the time. I like to buy the best. But did I really need to spend $1500 on a 7.2 surround sound audio receiver? And a second matching one for the bedroom, too?!? I mostly watch TV on my laptop! 🤪

You sound like a car salesman! "Now for just $15 more per month, you can get the undercoating."
"What's that?"
"Oh, you want that to protect your car from all the salt they put on the road."
"Salt?"
"Yah, for the snow."
"But, we live in Florida."
"Well, yah, but you might want to drive to New York."
"Oh, right. Just $15? Hmmm. OK."
;)
I'm only half joking. I get sucked in all the time. I like to buy the best. But did I really need to spend $1500 on a 7.2 surround sound audio receiver? And a second matching one for the bedroom, too?!? I mostly watch TV on my laptop! 🤪
LOL

As a person who grew up in Brooklyn I can confirm there are a lot of New Yawkers here :ROFLMAO::D

Being a southern guy I won't tell any new york Jokes if you don't tell any redneck jokes :)

My daughter was offered a job to manage a Chicka Fila store on Long Island and man stuff is expensive up there..At least on Long island! I think Apartments were more then in California

@Sollace and @Dirk Thank you for all the comments and links. Dirk you brought up some great points. In Florida a pool does not add value to the house, but it can make it sell quicker. My house is 3600 sq ft big family house so I think a pool will attract a big family and a pool will help it sell quicker. It sounds from above Quartz can last just as long as long as I take care of it. My pool builder did say his brother in law has quartz and going on 16 years, so maybe it lasts. He said it is only 5k to refinish, is that true? As all of you know everything is adding up so quickly. One thought I have is if I want to change to quartz I can put that 2K in upgraded decking. I really like the Artistic pavers but thats 5K more. If I save 2K by going with Artistics or even Travertine does that increase the value of the house when I sell? Maybe I should think that way. I also need to look at the quartz options, have not even looked at it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.