Do you keep tabs inside chlorinator despite using liquid chlorine?

Jimharris99

Gold Supporter
May 29, 2020
Prosper, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone,
For those that use liquid chlorine on a regular basis, but will sometimes use chlorine tabs for when you go on vacation, do you just have a few tabs in the chlorinator all the time, waiting to be used....or is that a bad idea because of the chems being trapped that could lead to boom? Hopefully that makes sense....do you ‘store’ tabs inside the inline chlorinator, I suppose is another way of asking, with the setting at zero so it’s closed when not using the tabs.

thanks!
Jim

There should be no tablets left in a chlorinator when the pump is off. The tablets are very acidic and that can back up (even with a check valve) into the heater and destroy it.

As mentioned my @mknauss it's a bad practice to leave them in there. Not only to mention, I would think they would degrade pretty darn quickly. Prior to my SWCG installation, I would just put some in a floater if I was going to be out of town for more than a couple of days.

Reactions: Jimharris99
Thanks....makes complete sense. Just removed my tabs, and I’ve got an extra floaty for when that time is needed....sure wish I would have discovered this site before my build. Haha, so much money to be saved. Oh well, better late than never.

thanks so much

Reactions: Msch99 and HeyEng
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.