Do you dip for each test OR fill a jar and do tests with a single container of pool w

tcason

Bronze Supporter
Apr 26, 2018
Queenstown MD
I have been going to pool water for every test and getting correct water level in beaker and then doing the drop test.
Is this correct OR
Can you fill a jar with pool water take it to table, fill beakers and use a single container to do all the tests?

I have read a lot on this site but haven't come across this question.

THANKS for all the help my pool looks great - first big test Memorial Day weekend three day pool party.

I use a single sample container large enough for tests and rinsing. I do OTO (chlorine) and pH daily (or when things are going fine or I’m being lazy, every couple days), add the FAS-DPD chlorine and TA tests once a week, plus CH & CYA once a month.

I have a short plastic bottle (I think it may be about 12 ounces - maybe more, maybe less - the label is long gone) that I've been using for years. I go over to the pool, turn it upside down and reach down as far as I can in the pool, then flip it over and let it fill from what amount to something close to 18" below the surface. Then I use that bottle for all my tests. It gives me enough to do a pre and post rinse of each vial that I use.

If you want to get tricky, I have a 150ml syringe attached to 5 feet of vinyl tubing that is weighted at the bottom. I can just walk to edge of pool and don’t even have to bend over to draw up my sample.

If you want to get tricky, I have a 150ml syringe attached to 5 feet of vinyl tubing that is weighted at the bottom. I can just walk to edge of pool and don’t even have to bend over to draw up my sample.

Chuefwej: I wouldn't mind seeing that rig.

I just use my (cough cough) Leslie's Pool sample bottle they gave me 2 years ago and using the PVC Pipe with holes on the caps trick to draw water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got a little squeeze sample bottle with a tiny spout on it perfect for all my tests. To each their own, but no need to draw new samples for each test. I like the consistency of testing the same sample for whatever tests I'm running. :)

So that brings up a question for me, I thought regents were supposed to be stored standing up? (or it doesn't matter?) Just curious! (mine are standing, I should get a picture of my not as elaborate set-up, but overkill for our pool situation! HA!)

And "on topic", we collect a large specimen and then use/rinse each test that's needed at that time (I use a previously new travel shampoo bottle, because it "drips" for some of my smaller test amountsYes, I have some O.C.D.) :flower:

After the water is balanced and I'm just daily testing FC, I just dip the sample tube down to my elbow for each test. Use the diving board as a table while squatting next to it. If it's really hot or I'm doing a full battery of tests I'll take the sample to a shady area. The condiment bottle from walmart seems like a good idea.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.