Do solar cover reels work?

My replacement - 11 mil Solar Blanket has been shipped. I had to do a field destroy before they would ship it, which meant cutting the old blanket in half. Well a lot of folks do that anyway.

I used 5 of those plastic eyelets to rivet the blanket back together. I may finish by sewing the blanket with heavy fishing line. The first time I reeled the blanket in the second piece flooded. The next time I went much slower and everything worked out. I am thinking that I will get 1 or 2 more seasons out of the "destroyed" old blanket so I will save the replacement for another year.

I cut my old one up into pieces and use it as insulating wrap when i winterize my air conditioners. Solar cover, shrink wrap and a whole lot of duct tape. I also have used pieces when moving furniture or things i didnt want scratched. One shot bubble wrap and throw out those pieces cuz i have a whole stack left

I will keep that in mind for when I want to repurpose the old one. As for now the old one was actually only first put into service a month ago. It was my new one and I complained about some seams that were starting to let go. I believe they were never proper from the get go. The company is replacing the blanket at N/C. With a small repair I should get several more seasons from my old/newish blanket and then I will have a 2nd brand new uncut one for use down the road.

Reactions: Newdude
Well, I installed the Solar Roller yesterday, so we'll see how it works. First impression is that it isn't as easy as the videos suggest, but maybe that will improve once the cover has been on the pool longer. Right now it sticks to itself a lot, so it tends to unroll all on one side.

@jeffr47 - do you like the solar roller?

I started with a solar blanket. Then rigged up 200+ ft of black hose fed with a small pump. A small solar panel powered the pump. 90+% of heat is lost at night, so put the cover back on before bed.

Same here. I was gaining a lot of heat during the day with the solar collectors and losing 90% at least every night so would have to wait 6-7 hours every day before getting in again.

Purchased a cover that actually sits across the pool (can support a person). Wasn't cheap but it is safe, keeps all the debris out and will last years.
Now woww what a difference. Maybe lose 1-2c at most even during the cold windy nights.
Now on average in summer here the pool is between 31-33c at 8am!!
Next week we're getting a thin bubble cover also to put under the semi-rigid cover to maintain more heat once we get nearer the end of the hotter days/nights.

Double glazing for the pool!

Reactions: l1ltaral1l
@l1ltaral1l ,

I know you pinged Jeff, but I've had some experience with solar cover reels. I took a look at your build thread. With the rectangular shape and equal elevations each side, your pool is well suited for a solar cover reel. A reel won't work with my current pool, but I do love my solar cover.

Last edited:
Thanks! I did see you mentioned that in another thread (I was searching and reading past threads). I did find a used GLI Pro Series Aluminum reel online for $75 with the bigger 4" tube kit, but am torn on what way to go.

@jeffr47 - do you like the solar roller?
I'm mixed on it. It doesn't roll out as easily as the videos show, but having a pole down the middle provides some very helpful structure to position the cover. It's not a miracle, but I think it's much better than nothing at all and much more compact than a full roller. Especially for a irregular pool shape.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.