Do solar cover reels work?

Adamphotoman

Aug 18, 2018
Dieppe New Brunswick
My replacement - 11 mil Solar Blanket has been shipped. I had to do a field destroy before they would ship it, which meant cutting the old blanket in half. Well a lot of folks do that anyway.

I used 5 of those plastic eyelets to rivet the blanket back together. I may finish by sewing the blanket with heavy fishing line. The first time I reeled the blanket in the second piece flooded. The next time I went much slower and everything worked out. I am thinking that I will get 1 or 2 more seasons out of the "destroyed" old blanket so I will save the replacement for another year.

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
I cut my old one up into pieces and use it as insulating wrap when i winterize my air conditioners. Solar cover, shrink wrap and a whole lot of duct tape. I also have used pieces when moving furniture or things i didnt want scratched. One shot bubble wrap and throw out those pieces cuz i have a whole stack left

Adamphotoman

Aug 18, 2018
Dieppe New Brunswick
I will keep that in mind for when I want to repurpose the old one. As for now the old one was actually only first put into service a month ago. It was my new one and I complained about some seams that were starting to let go. I believe they were never proper from the get go. The company is replacing the blanket at N/C. With a small repair I should get several more seasons from my old/newish blanket and then I will have a 2nd brand new uncut one for use down the road.

Reactions: Newdude