Do new solar (bubble) covers shrink in size during the first weeks on the pool?

LapPoolMike

Bronze Supporter
May 13, 2017
Saint Petersburg, FL
Howdy,
I just purchased my first solar cover ever, for my 11' x 60' lap pool, and could use some advice from experienced cover users. I actually purchased a 30' x 60' cover, the Clear 2400 Series 12mil thick cover from Doheny's, so I will be cutting it to get two full-length covers out of it plus pieces to cover my attached spa, stairs and swimout bench.

My question is: should I cut the cover larger than the pool dimensions (11' x 60') to account for shrinkage over say the first six weeks of life on the pool? I'm getting mixed opinions. I just spoke to Doheny's and they say shrinkage with their solar covers should not be an issue, that shrinkage is only an issue with vinyl liners. But the web site for the cover reel I purchased (Rocky's Reels #5A) states to allow a 1.5 inch wide border around the pool edge to compensate for shrinkage, in other words cut the cover 3 inches wider and 3 inches longer than the pool dimensions. I've read other sources that also say to allow for shrinkage, then go back 6 weeks later and do a final trim.

What say you? Have you ever experienced a pool solar cover shrinking by any significant amount? If you trim your covers, what do you do? I think I'm going to take it to my local park/soccer field to do the trimming! Thanks!

If you have enough excess I would trim it big, You can always trim a bit more off. You can't stretch it once it is too small.

Let us know what your experience is on shrinkage.

Mine did not noticeably shrink. But I was not all that meticulous in trimming it to fit.

Mine actually grew. It didn't lay completely flat due to being rolled up from the factory. It had some creases that took 2 weeks in the sun to smooth out and when they did, I had to trim another few inches off. But start too big. You can always trim it down 3 more times, or even 6 more times. Once you go too small, its too small. Also make sure to give it plenty of time to settle. You're expecting to get a few years out of it, 2 weeks is well worth the risks.

Reactions: 1Sammy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.