Do I really need new pump? Is it easy to change DIY?

NewB77777

Dec 1, 2019
Los Angeles
Hi,
My pump made suddenly big noise, and I checked basic things except disassembling motor to check impeller.
I got home insurance, so I called insurance company, and they sent a technician to check and after that, insurance company denied the service.
They told me that there are tree root near the pump, and the level is not flat, and it is the reason of not working, and they told me my insurance doesn't cover it :)

OKay, so I called independent service company, and they came, and they told me that the motor is bad.
He told me the motor we have for now is single motor, and he told me it will be illegal to use it in California soon, and it is not good for long term.
He recommended to install pentair VSF Pump 3HP-011056. And he quoted $1600 including installation after rebate something.
He told me that it will include timer and housing too.

Now I have questions.
I have 3 options. Please let me know which option do I have to take it.
option 1. I can try to disassemble current motor to check impeller, and I might able to fix it. However it might better to change motor for long term.
option 2. I give $1600 to the guy. and ask him to fix it. (I'm not a rich guy, and we already spent $$$ for fixing house)
option 3. I buy the pump, and I install my self. (I'm handy. However I don't have experience)

In case I take option 3, please let me know which pump(model) do I have to buy.

BTW, Are there any person here who used home insurance successfully to fix pool?
I asked independent service guy about home insurance ,and he told me Home insurance is nothing but time consuming.
He told me insurance company make money by denying, and it is almost impossible to fix pool by using the insurance.

Thank you.

Last edited:
NB,

I suggest you google "Pool motor replacement" and check out a few videos... This will give you an idea of it is something that you can do.. Doing it yourself is the cheapest way out of your situation..

Then come back here with pics of your old motor showing the labels on the sides, if they are still readable..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: NewB77777
It is 2HP, not 3 HP.
So I think I can install 2HP.
I guess I can change just motor(either same single speed motor or variable speed motor) or whole pump.
Is it better to change just motor or whole pump?
Please let me know which pump or motor do I have to buy.

BTW, I heard that SCE will give $200 rebate
.. from local retailers, pool professionals or distributors on the purchase of a variable speed pool pump.
Thanks.
IMG_5385.JPG

Last edited:
You cannot purchase a motor of that size in California that is single speed. You might be able to get a two speed.

California already follows the multi speed pool pump requirements that take effect in the rest of the USA later this year.

New,

I have no experience with insurance claims for pool equipment but there are a few posts I've seen here with not much success. Their reason for denial sounds kind of bogus. A photo would be helpful.

A VS pump will usually pay for itself in a year. I'd definitely go that route with the rebate and your high power costs. There are some VS motors now being sold that can make the initial cost lower. In my case it's about half the cost to go this way. If you pay an installer that's usually two times the equipment cost for total installed cost. Other than electrical it's really very simple to change motors. I'd call a supplier such as Inyopools and have your current pump model number handy. They will be able to tell you the proper model number and price. V-green is a popular VS motor replacement and I believe it's made by Century as well. Do check to be sure to verify the SCE rebate applies for the motor only conversion before you commit to motor only. Also, not sure what automation you use or if you have automation. There are advantages to go with your current brand automation when switching to a VS pump. If no automation then this doesn't matter.

Lastly, it looks like you watched the video's as Jim recommended. I'd echo Jim's comments to be sure you know how to do the job. It's very important that you really do understand the dangers of 240v power. It can cause serious injury or death. If you haven't worked with it before get some help at least the first time. Won't cost a lot for electric help only and you'll learn a lot.

I hope this helps.

Chris

The first thing I see is that the SCE "rebate" requires:
The Variable Speed pool pump must be purchased through a participating physical retailer,an SCE approved distribution location, or from a pool installer who purchased the pool pump through any SCE approved Point of Sale distribution locations.

So, any savings you may find with a pump online may be eliminated by having to use one of their distributors.

Aside from replacement, most areas have pump repair shops. Google "water pump repair" for your area and you may find one.

A photo of your set up might help us understand how hard/easy it will be to replace. A big factor may be the level of the pump in relationship to the pool. A pump below the level of the pool, even slightly makes it more difficult unless teh original pool builder installed valves to isolate the pump.

Quick note on insurance. Do NOT call them and ask about stuff about your pool UNLESS it's damaged by storm/tornado/tree falling/etc...basically mother nature (not freezing!) as it's not a "warranty", it is designed for catastrophic loss. Plus, just calling and asking about a possible claim can go on your "insurance report" (similar to a credit report but it's called a "Clue" report) and can result in increased rates. Of course, the law differs for different states, so further research is recommended.

From reading that initial post I'm not clear if newb is talking about a home owners insurance policy or one of the add on insurance policies that cover the smaller stuff like washers, refrig, furnace, pool equip, .... ??

From reading that initial post I'm not clear if newb is talking about a home owners insurance policy or one of the add on insurance policies that cover the smaller stuff like washers, refrig, furnace, pool equip, .... ??
That is what I was thinking too. Home owner's insurance usually will not cover stuff like this and I doubt they would even send anyone out to look. In my humble opinion, all of those home warranty services are scams. You will have to jump through hoops to get a valid claim and even if they agree to repair the customer still seems to be on the hook for for labor or some other fee. I feel like they try to wait you out until you decide to repair yourself and then they will not reimburse. People are probably far better off if they just put that money into an emergency fund instead of premiums.

We just got a house with pool, and at that time we got home owners insurance which cover 1 year.
It is different with home insurance which cover fire, theft, etc.
It is our first time to purchase house. so I'm not sure if they really cover or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool & Spa equipment is usually an add-on to home warranty coverage. Double check your policy. In my last home, I did have a pump motor replaced under the warranty. You have to play by their rules and their timeline....and if I recall correctly, I paid a deductible of around $85.

Last edited:
We just got a house with pool, and at that time we got home owners insurance which cover 1 year.
It is our first time to purchase house. so I'm not sure if they really cover or not.
If what you got was a home buyers warranty then it may be covered. The devil's in the details. Some cover pool equipment some don't. Read the policy and let us know. Look for the part of the policy that says something like "Coverage Exclusions" and the section listing "Covered Items". Covered items will usually include at least appliances, air conditioners etc.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Pool & Spa equipment is usually an add-on to home warranty coverage. Double check your policy. In my last home, I did have a pump motor replaced under the warranty. You have to play by their rules and their timeline....and if I recall correctly, I paid a deductible of around $85.
This. A warranty is much different that a homeowner's policy. My wonder bride is a real estate broker and we have *never* bought one of these warranties as there are so many exclusions, they are rarely worth the paper they are printed on.

This. A warranty is much different that a homeowner's policy. My wonder bride is a real estate broker and we have *never* bought one of these warranties as there are so many exclusions, they are rarely worth the paper they are printed on.

Thanks Greg...from the OP's post above, I think he meant "warranty". He and his family are new owners of the house and inherited a somewhat troubled pool. Out here is CA, warranties are usually paid for by the seller for the first year after a new purchase.

Yes we paid extra to cover pool.
I don't know if it is legit for insurance company to deny for the reason.
-> They said that uneven bottom made blocked.. something.
And I don't know if I able to argue with them to get cover.
Because I can insist that motor is gone because it is old, not from the uneven pipe.

Do you think if it is worthy to argue with them?

Is the agent real estate agent or your home owner insurance?
I don't think we don't have home owner insurance agent who can represent us.

Other technician told me that the motor is old, so If It can be evidence, then I can ask insurance company again by mentioning it.
I will post again the result.
Please let me have some advice how to deal with insurance company.
59773761583__604697A6-5E3B-4F56-8642-A05051CACA24.jpg

BTW,
I found a pool guy who charge only $180 for installing include parts.
So I'm going to ask him to install.

And I'm going to install this pump, which is $999
After rebate + installation, it will be $979

It will be best if insurance company covers it.

New,.

Great choice. I wish I had that pump. How level is your pool pump? Get a level and check the base. Your warranty does require that it's level.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.