Do I really have to slam/shock?

GuardianOcean

Well-known member
May 13, 2018
53
Canada
I've read some conflicting info, as is always the case with "world wide web of opinions". All my chemistry is in good range and nicely balanced, but I got busy and let my chlorine drop to zero. The water started to get cloudy so i immediately put it to 5ppm and within 1 hour i was clear again. My question is should i really take it to slam level to make sure any badies are killed.
The general opinion seems to be yes, but I know from treating drinking water that simply filtering nasty pond water and bringing it to 2ppm makes it safe potable water. So, it seems to me that a pool should be the same and doesn't require high levels of chlorine unless the chlorine isn't staying or the combined chlorine is high. But maybe I missed something. Did I miss something here?