Do I need to upgrade my main drain?

Sep 6, 2018
San Antonio
I am new to this forum. Can I ask if an inspection is needed after a re-plaster job? I am getting different opinions from pool companies that our existing main drain has to be brought up to 2018 code (currently 2 feet long and 5 inches wide and slotted like a ceiling vent on an HVAC system). This will result in splitting the single drain into two drains. I can't find anything in San Antonio city code about doing this as a replaster v/s new build or total remodel. Thanks.

I dont know the official answer but I would think this would apply to "NEW" pools. There are some folks that feel a main/bottom drain is not necessary. For the most part I leave my main/bottom drain off.

Hey AF, welcome to the forum!

Some random thoughts for you...

I had my drains deleted when I did my remodel. Couldn't be happier about that. My main drain was plumbed to my skimmer, and the skimmer never had the diverter plate that would have engaged the drain. So I knew ahead of time that my pool circulated fine without a drain.

Is your drain an integral part of your circulation, or off, or mostly off? Consider getting rid of it. There is no configuration of compliant or non-compliant drains that are safer than no drains. Plus, now my pool is missing those two eyesores, my vac (or toes) no longer get hung up on them, and brushing the deep end is that much easier...

What your PB is suggesting might be the installation of two VGB compliant drains, which can come with very obnoxious covers. Big, tall, ugly. If it turns out a new drain system is required, there may be other solutions that are more similar to what you have now: flat and level with your surface. Research the options. Some can be covered with the surface material (plaster, pebble, etc) to make them almost invisible.

My city did not require my replaster to be inspected. You could call your local area's planning dept to get the answer to that (it's different from city to city).

And lastly, I've seen this a few times here on the forum: PBs will knowingly or unknowingly misinterpret the code on drains. There is usually some detailed requirements in the code about how a drain is to be configured, but not always that a drain is actually required. PBs sometimes glaze over that...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.