Do I need to balance water if closing right after filling (new liner)?

mcch

Oct 19, 2020
canada
After a nightmare new inground pool installation this August we still have never swam in our pool. Next week the PB is coming to replace pump (first one defective) and install brand new liner at his cost (initial one was damaged in all four corners due to poor install). PB plans to close the pool immediately after installing new liner and filling pool (water truck). I was told no chemicals were needed before winterizing because it will be brand new water never swam in. Is this true? Is it ok to not balance water before closing at that point? It’s all happening in one day (new liner and closure) so not sure I have much choice….

No chemicals are needed, but it might be an idea to run the pump and check that all is well before you winterize (water draw down and purging the pipes). It depends how much time you have and whether you want to learn to winterize yourself or leave closing to a company.

Last edited:
You may not need to balance the water for swimming's sake, but you do want to ensure there is an adequate amount of stabilizer and chlorine to prevent algae while the pool is dormant. You might ask the installer what their plan is to prevent algae. Even though it's getting cold, you might want some preventative measures for algae. Since you are having water trucked in, it might also be a good idea to check the pH to ensure it's not exceptionally high or low that could impact the liner as well.

After a nightmare new inground pool installation this August we still have never swam in our pool. Next week the PB is coming to replace pump (first one defective) and install brand new liner at his cost (initial one was damaged in all four corners due to poor install). PB plans to close the pool immediately after installing new liner and filling pool (water truck). I was told no chemicals were needed before winterizing because it will be brand new water never swam in. Is this true? Is it ok to not balance water before closing at that point? It’s all happening in one day (new liner and closure) so not sure I have much choice….
Given the issues you've had with this pool builder, I would want to run it for a few days and make sure that everything is right before closing it. If you wait until next spring to discover any issues, you'll have to get in the back of the line behind a busy pool builder. And of course you have a choice. Tell him to install the liner and that you want to run it for a few days before he comes back and closes it. It's your money.

It is SO easy to mostly balance that I would do it just because. PH for example. Your fill water could be a 5 and really low PH causes liner wrinkles. It would SUCK to open the brand new pool with fingerprint wrinkles everywhere. A few lbs of borax and 30 mins to mix is all it takes for low PH.

Without the sun (being immediately covered), stabilizer is less of an issue but you’ll still want chlorine in there either way. 2 gallons of bleach (?) after the PH is in range and another 30 mins to mix will have you sitting pretty in the spring.

Calcium is no biggie for liner pools so you get off all but Scott free there.

Raising TA if even needed is just as easy with an other simple add. If the fill water is high then let it ride because TA takes time to lower 10 at a time.

Reactions: borjis
Thank you. The pH was already definitely my concern (to ensure no liner issues develop) but I was told not to worry about it. I will raise it yet again… They did recently come back to now say they will provide and add a “chemical closing kit”. Does that typically include balancing pH?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.