Do I need to add salt?

Welcome to TFP!

That depends on the level the manufacturer recommends for your particular SWCG. For most of them, you need to add at 2500ppm.

R,

The salt level and FC level really have nothing to do with one another.

Obviously, you have to have enough salt so that the Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) works, but more salt will not necessarily produce more chlorine.

You should always have your salt level above the minimum requirement for your particular cell.

My cell has a lower limit of 2600 ppm below which the cell will not produce chlorine. What cell do you have and what are the upper and lower salt limits?

What is your water temp. I'm in the DFW area and my water temp is about 52 degrees and my cell is off with a cold water warning.

Keep in mind the colder the water the less accurate the salt reading that the cell provides will be. I find that I can't rely on what the cell says is the salt level until the water temp is in the 60's.

Thanks,

Jim R.

R,

The salt level and FC level really have nothing to do with one another.

Obviously, you have to have enough salt so that the Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) works, but more salt will not necessarily produce more chlorine.

You should always have your salt level above the minimum requirement for your particular cell.

My cell has a lower limit of 2600 ppm below which the cell will not produce chlorine. What cell do you have and what are the upper and lower salt limits?

What is your water temp. I'm in the DFW area and my water temp is about 52 degrees and my cell is off with a cold water warning.

Keep in mind the colder the water the less accurate the salt reading that the cell provides will be. I find that I can't rely on what the cell says is the salt level until the water temp is in the 60's.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi! Thanks for replying. I am in Austin and the SWCG is working for now. It is a Pentair. I measured the salt ppm with a digital reader rather than relying on the SWCG. So should I just wait until it warms up?

R.

You could add a bag or two of salt, but I would not a lot until the water temps come up.

I'd rather be on the low end rather than the high end of the salt range, just for the taste factor.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.