Do I need a tail sweep?

Dsims50

Jul 30, 2019
Midlothian, TX
Just got a new gunite pool with pebble bottom. My builder said he doesn’t put the tail on the automatic cleaner. I don’t remember why.. I feel like at a minimum it wouldn’t hurt and best case, it works to design and helps clean the pool. Anyone else have any input on this topic?

Welcome to TFP.

What model cleaner are we discussing?

The foam tail is there to brush the walls. The tail has hard weight rings that also rub against the walls. If you don't have the tail on the weight rings will rub against the walls and rapidly wear.

New weight rings are round. After a year or two you will see the weight rings become flat from wear. I rotate my weight rings from the top of the tail where they don't wear to the bottom where they wear against the wall even with the foam tail. The rings are sacrificial and eventually need to be replaced.

I would put the foam tail on. It has a purpose. It will also wear over time and need replacement.

Yes, the tail does stir things up a bit, but I believe that's what it's supposed to do - so the "things" can be more readily filtered. The sponge tip does seem to scrub a bit (I believe that's what they're called - "scrubbers"). However, the installer of my sweep recommended them for a different reason - they help to keep the tail from breaching the surface and squirting water. My experience is that if it does it helps just a little.

Yes, the tail does stir things up a bit, but I believe that's what it's supposed to do - so the "things" can be more readily filtered. The sponge tip does seem to scrub a bit (I believe that's what they're called - "scrubbers"). However, the installer of my sweep recommended them for a different reason - they help to keep the tail from breaching the surface and squirting water. My experience is that if it does it helps just a little.

I got fed up with constantly retrieving the blue tail piece from the bottom of the pool (the dog loves to snatch them off), cleaning the water spots from my pool-facing windows, and replacing the sponges. IMHO, they don't really do all that much as far as scrubbing goes and if you brush your pool regularly they just don't serve much purpose. I bought this and have been content with it. The tail still whips around and stirs up any light bits but it doesn't fall off, no foam to replace, and it doesn't spray my windows all the time. Totally worth the $20.

I like that! Now there's a widget worthy of consideration. I see a few others on Amazon as well with bristles. Have you tried those?

It seems no matter where I stand on the edge of the pool the sweep tail will squirt me. I always figured it was an intrinsic property of the Universe...;)

No, I never tried the ones with bristles. This one will still spray some water, but it only goes maybe 2 or 3 feet as opposed to across the entire pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.