Do I need a mechanical timer?

robo-1915

Nov 5, 2019
MA
We're having a new pool installed (16x32 vinyl). Electrician just bonded and we're waiting for an inspection. We were talking a bit about what he will be installing to power the pump/heater (no SWG).
He's putting in a 60am panel with 1 mechanical timer for the pump heater. Do I even need that timer? He was going to put 2 timers in (one for a polaris), but I think we're just gonna go with a drop in Maytronics robot eventually.

I requested an upgrade to a Hayward VS 700 230v, the heater is a Aquacal heat pump SQ125.

I guess I'm wondering why I would want either of those on a timer in the electrical box.. The Pump has it's own timer/panel, and the heat pump just goes on/off at desired set temps, and only if there's enough flow right?

We're in MA, so it's a short season.

Looking for guidance, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1708.jpg
    IMG_1708.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1717.jpg
    IMG_1717.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
The Pump has it's own timer/panel, and the heat pump just goes on/off at desired set temps, and only if there's enough flow right?

Welcome to TFP.

You are correct. You can turn off the HP at its control panel when you want it off.

Thanks Dave,

We do have 2 Pentair intellibrite color leds going in.. There is a controller with that, but no timer. I guess I'll ask the electrician to connect the timer to the lights, and not the pump/heater?

Does that make sense, is the timer the same for lights vs pump/heater?

Thanks for the answers guys, I'm sure I'll have more questions!

If you put the lights on a timer you have to think through if you always want the lights on and off at the same time and how you are going to override the timer when you want the lights on when the timer is off. There are much better solutions for light control then a simple timer.

My thought was have the lights on the timer from dusk-dawn, and turn off when not in use with the button on the controller. at least they won't be on 24x7 when the wife & kids forget to turn them off (like they do with every other light in the house).

I'm sure I'll get some automation eventually (I like to tinker). I just need to pay for this pool/patio work first!

Just for reference on your original question, my electrician installed a mechanical timer even though I was going to use the electronic timer on my pump if I chose to. When I questioned the PB about saving ($100 ?) he said that the electricians install price included the timer and it wouldn’t be credited if he didn’t install it. So I have it and have never used it. It may be redundant but it won’t hurt anything.

I'm sure I'll get some automation eventually (I like to tinker). I just need to pay for this pool/patio work first!

If you are planning on automation then you should focus on a single vendor for your automation, pump, lights, and heater so it all communicates with the automation. A Hayward VS pump with Pentair Intellibrites and an AquaCal heat pump is not going to be controlled optimally by a Hayward or Pentair automation panel.

Yeah, I'll reiterate what others have said.. doesn't look like you would need a timer. But if your situation is like @Newdude 's then you might as well put it in for some future use. And as Allen says, if you get a more complete automation control, then everything goes through that panel.

Here is an idea on the pool lights. I have a bank of light switches conveniently located on the side of my house that turn on various things in the yard.. The sport court lights, waterfall, spa/pool lights, etc. I have found it more convenient to turn them on when I want them, rather than put them on a daily timer. And some of them have the kind of switches that turn off after a certain amount of time.. like what you would find in the bathroom, (since my kids never turn the light off when their done). That way I can turn the lights on for, say, 4 hours, and they turn off on their own. The ones I have max out at 6 hours. It is really nice for the sport court light. I don't know how many times I woken up at 1 in the morning and found them on.. cause the kids left them on, got distracted and went inside. ;)

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.