Do I have to care about csi now.

Alwayswantedapool

Platinum Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
York SC
I just installed my new swg last weekend and was wondering if I have to start caring about csi? I have a vinyl pool and to date have ignored csi and just made sure everything was in range. Now I am wondering if I need to watch csi to prevent scaling on the swg.
Current measurements
FC 7 I am working on getting it down to 4
Ph 7.6
TA 50
CH 60
Cya 60. I will get this up to 80 when it gets a little warmer
Salt 3400
Temp 66
Csi -1.38

Looks like to get to less then -6 I need to increase ch to 200 and maybe run ph at 7.8.

Thoughts?

Your CH and TA are very low. Is that normal for your pool? If so, you can ignore CSI for now. Just be careful with calcium increasing chemicals. Always dilute them first before adding.

- - - Updated - - -

If you use the PoolMath app on a tablet or smartphone, you can always turn on the CSI tracking just for informational purposes. There’s no need to dwell on it, but it’s automatically calculated so there’s no downside to tracking it.

Low CSI doesn't matter to a vinyl liner pool. There's no plaster to etch and weaken. High CSI can still lead to scale formation.

If you see a lot of foam near the return jets, then low CH is the reason. If you have it and it bugs you, add Calcium. If it was my pool, I wouldn't bother. Bump CYA up, keep the FC above minimum, and maintain pH and enjoy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.